Friday, October 05, 2007

More Mushrooms!!!!!

Got lucky today while walking around the yard and found the 'ol Grifola frondosa , otherwise known as Hen of the Woods. It's basically a mushroom as big as your head. Kid you not. I know, I am the LAST person to wander the yard seeking random fungi to cook up, I don't even LIKE mushrooms, except for this one. And maybe morels. But these guys are GOOD.

Here's a picture:





I made a Hen of the Woods Risotto. I can only make it pretty much once a year, these things only come near fall, at the very end of things. I like it too because it doesn't look like any other mushroom on the planet. ( I hear you can get into trouble with some of them, remember Alice?? )

Right, ok, enough with the nature. I feel some ROCK coming on and am off to get ready for my gig tonight, which will entail finding something other than my mushroom hunting wear , that is fairly clean ( Tell us, Lorraine, what does one wear for hunting mushrooms??? You are always SUCH a fashionista on stage......HA! Ask Malena, SHE is the one with the fashion sense. I am just going for CLEAN tonight, which may be harder than it sounds...)

Ought to be fun, Joe Smith from Bedlam is coming down to sit in ( largely because he wants to borrow half my PA and I am not letting him at it until he plays for us ) and I have been missing Charlie's.

Speaking of Charlie's, I should mention, Lojo Russo and I are playing a show together on Thanksgiving weekend, Friday and Saturday ( at Charlie's ) Not that we are a band, not that we much know each others music, but, hey, any excuse to hang out with her for a couple of nights, I can promise you, tho, it will be entertaining. ( and I bet the music won't be half bad either. )

Our Malena has been beyond busy these days with movie and TV sorts of actress things, you know how they are. Last I heard she was working with George Lucas, re-shooting the first three Star Wars movies, starring as Han Solo, no Princess Leia for this Girl! Give her a gun and let her at the bad guys! I think she plays an alien or two as well. ( SUCH an acting stretch, I slay myself! )

Kimberly Butler called today to say they were deep into the edit and did I have any opinions on things. ( well, maybe, I want to look like Malena. Only shorter and with red hair. She says there is only so much they can do in CGI ) We ought to have more cd and video news very soon for you, and you will be the first to hear it.

I'll leave you with more mushrooms, I don't know who this guy IS at all, but I know how he feels finding Mushrooms as Big as Your Head! ( this will be me in 40 years, Malena will be there too, in a long black dress, complete with cauldron, cooking up my mushrooms...)



Love, Music and Mushrooms,
Lorraine

17 Comments:

At 4:36 PM , Blogger Malena said...

Yeah, give me a bazooka, and some C4. I've always wanted to be Laura Croft, Lady Death, Wonder Woman, etc etc. An ass kicken amazon basically. Hen of the Woods? In LA talk that sounds like a homeless lady under the freeway. :(
What a beautiful mushroom. I HATE mushrooms, but if Fablo says it's good, I'll eat it. She's an amazing cook. She can make my actress diet interesting, which is a culinary challenge of Iron Chef proportions.

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger Beez said...

Domestic Goddess, Forager Extrordinaire and Rock Star.

huh. You probably don't need to be Laundry Woman Of The Gods besides.

-Mostly- clean will probably do fine.
*wink*

Malena....you already kick ass. So....

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

don't hate the mushroom because it is beautiful!
i LOVE mushrooms, mmmmm, especially the shitake.
they are tiny internal scrub brushes that get the dirt out of us!
meanwhile, yes to Malena as Han Solo.
i can see it!
and Quiche Lorraine, i LOVE the stairs-of-doom reference, oh-so-appropriate!
xoxox

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Mmmmm.....brains! It looks brain-ish,anyway.

I've not had the pleasure of fresh mushrooms, but was always considered a weird little kid because I'd open a can of the stems n pieces and eat them right from it.

 
At 11:16 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I don't like mushrooms myself, but these are really good, and they DO look like a brain would look , if it exploded.

I so rocked tonight, if I may be non-modest and say so, it was one of the really good nights. Some nights are magic and this was one of them. I think it is not so much me, as everyone who comes and becomes a part of it. I get so much more than I give, I just play music, it's the people who are there who light it on fire.

I love it when this happens.

I thank you.

 
At 1:28 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Hurray for a great satisfying gig and awsome mushroom risotto.
Autumn is such a great season for just that (but I like mushrooms) It sends me in cooking frenzy (a fairly permanent state, I'll confess).
I see you have now pictures.
Did you get a new camera then ?

 
At 8:01 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Alas, no camera.Google images.

 
At 6:03 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

You guys out that direction get all of the mushroom fun. I never find stuff like that around here.

Yay for rocking!

 
At 11:30 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I never thought i would find things like that either, apparently they are there if you look...

Rocked again tonight, but it was a little more work.There was a wedding in the other part of the hotel, and I had a bet on with myself ( which I won ) that the bride woud be screaming and freaking before the end of the night. OH MAN OH MAN...

They were not our people, fortunatly , the Pub was our people.

Malena spent the day on the Star Wars set AGAIN, shooting aliens this time. It was funny, the story board specified a 4- foot blue alien, and she was the only one called, and they didn;t want to wait, so she had to shoot the whole thing in blue make up and on her knees, can you say SMURFS anyone????? Ahhhh , Hollywood....

 
At 12:16 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

I can even say "schtroumpfs" which is the original name of smurfs.
Hollyweird, alright...

And weird and wonderful stuff in gardens/woods/meadows only happen IF you are looking for them. Otherwise they just stay in the wings of reality, drinking tea and smokings fags, waiting for somebody to show up that might appreciate them.

 
At 12:27 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

What a lovely image, Spacelaw....You have a fine way with words, and it is not even your first language, I SO want to learn to speak French. It's horrid in this country we only learn one.

I saw some mushrooms today that looked like Smurf Houses, I don't think one can eat them tho....

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger Beez said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Beez said...

*blinks*

The thought of Malena blue and on her knees...
I think I need more tea.

Spacedlaw, your postings are wonderful. I always look forward to them.
I agree Lorraine- most of my European friends (except the U.K.ers) have to know 3 or 4 languages to get out of high school.

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

mmm, mighty mighty mushrooms.

Actually I'm okay with raw mushrooms but I don't like the taste or consistancy of cooked mushrooms... but I bet you could change my mind, L.

you always rock Lorraine!! you rock-goddess you.

Malena, what can I say? you are our fairy-goddess and hollywierd stories are always exactly that, wierd...

But...

Wierd is good, it is almost Halloween and VCON (Oct 19-21 in Richmond/Vancouver, B.C. ... shameless plug, eh) is taking up all my time and brainpower before our beloved holiday. I think of Halloween as LaM's birthday, sort of, what do you think?

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Happy Birthday to US , is what I say.

( Malena wants Dead Things and I want a Pony, if anyone is looking for present ideas...)

( ok, I like Dead Things too, but I have been asking for a Pony ever since I was 4 and someday...)

 
At 11:03 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Then Malena might love the weird creatures coming out of Sarina Brewer's lab...
I was looking for stange creatures to populate my NaNoWriMo novel and think I might have found just the source...

 
At 11:47 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

chuckle...so disturbing.. there should be a disclaimer before that page loads... 'Beware, you are about to profoundly disturbed!! Don't panic.'

Happy almost-Birthday to LaM!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home