Monday, September 10, 2007

Harvest and Dogs

I made salsa today, and canned it ( with the canning help from Merry Housekeeper, that is not one of my skills ) I invented " Black Cherry Tomato and Pineapple Salsa " which might well be the best salsa ever invented, if I do say so myself. They CALL them Black Tomatoes, but they are actually Purple, very pretty, with the yellow pineapple. Also " Chunky Tomato and Habenero Salsa " which may well be one of the hottest ever made.

My garden, which I thought was lagging , turned out to have about one million tomatoes and several hundred hot peppers. More salsa tomorrow. I think a Mango and Chili Salsa, as well as some milder versions for those faint of heart.

What's new? Good question. I am lying low in the country, tho hoping to get out to LA before the craziness that is Malena at Halloween begins, but we shall see. That girl goes wild. No, no, I don't mean her general state of manic , 24/7 working on everything and being the toast of the town. I am talking about HALLOWEEN. That is a Holiday with her. Lasts a month, and gives new meaning to the phrase " Over the Top ".

Meanwhile, back here in the country, I took the Dog to Renn Fest yesterday. An idea whose time has NOT yet come. I think a little more Doggie School first, tho I must say, it was a great full body 6 hour workout. HE had a great time, it was the coolest place ever and he was going to see, smell, and have it ALL. If I wanted to come along at the end of the leash, well fine with him, didn't bother him a bit. WHY I didn't bring a wagon and ride around all day, I am not sure. Big Johnny had to take him to the car for me at the end of the day, I could not do it, my arms were shaking so. HE had a hard time with Berserker Boy. ( Berserker Boy, for the record slept the two hours all the way home, and then wanted to play " I have the stuffed duck and will run around while you chase me , and I rend and tear it " )

I am going back next Sunday , but I think he will be with Dog Sitter. I want to actually PLAY this time.

Other than the Dog, and the Harvest things are quiet, most still in the basement and attic, sorting away. Doing some writing tho, which is good.

Love and Salsa,
Lorraine

7 Comments:

At 5:41 PM , Blogger kali_licious said...

Mmmmm salsa..I'm intrigued by the idea of black cherry tomatoes. Sounds like I should look them up.

Sounds like Cabal got a wee bit overstimulated. Your poor arms!

BTW, thanks for the Carrie Vaughn recommendation..I just flew through all three Kitty books in 2 days.:)

 
At 7:11 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Carrie Vaughen is wonderful. Elizabeth, from Dreamhaven Books just told me of a new Kitty Short Story that is out, Elizabeth, I forgot where you told me it is, can you tell us?

I grow weird heirloom tomatoes, which I get from http://www.tomatobob.com/ wierd wacky and wonderful....

 
At 5:30 AM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

I guess the upside of having a 4 pound dog is that when he gets wound up I can just tuck him under one arm and say "enough bratling!"

The downside is I can't let him walk a lot much since he might get trampled, so I have a tired arm at the end of a day out too.

Any demonic veggies this year? Ours are woefully lagging in size and quantity (wicked bad drought) but there were still sufficient numbers to can.

 
At 11:02 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Wow ! That first salsa sounds very intriguing. And those purple tomatoes very strange indeed.
Here they come in red, red and ... hmmm, let's see ... red again (going through green but not being dogmatic about it either) but in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

That dog sounds like an over-excited puppy... At least he does not give you flying lessons anymore and - indeed - he is good work out.

 
At 11:33 AM , Blogger ariandalen said...

It's interesting that you can take a dog, or other non-service animal, to the Renfaire. Here in Texas, non-service animals aren't allowed at any of the Renfaires if you're a patron.
Glad you had a good workout. ;)

 
At 6:37 PM , Blogger Beez said...

Awwww. Puppy :)

*snicker*

Sorry, I had a 90 pound Lab that did the same thing.

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Mmmmm, Black Cherry Tomato salsa... Sounds delish.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home