Monday, August 06, 2007

Honey of the Woods



(image courtesy of Dreslough.com and Bean's coloring skills.)

The bees have been working very hard this summer. It's amazing how much they can produce when they have a good queen. This queen is kind and helpful to all who work for her. Everything must be on time and build to perfection, or at least that's what her mother had taught her. You see, this little Queen was very young when given the Thrown. She loved her hive and at 15, was doing her best to appear wise and noble. It shows in her honey. We congratulate her on her first harvest of honey. Oooppps! Or should we say, "Thank you for letting us steal your honey and rip down your old condos without stinging us to death!" Yes I'll go with that one.

Here's our little bees stampeding into flight.

Here's a picture of the real teen bee.
You see, Lorraine and I are right, REAL queens DO have big bums. I could be queen of the world!

Lorraine sent me this package of honeycomb. I must say, these are amazing creatures. It tastes, as Lorraine said, "Like the woods". I couldn't agree more. With me on my model diet, I tried to find a way to add protein to the snack because I LOVE honey. (sugar is a no no when you are training) So, I cut off a small cube and coated it with roasted flax seeds. Mmmm. It was baklava without the butter. Heavenly! Who knew about flax seeds? (My vegan friend told me about these yummy, unknown seeds)


The honey put my favorite "Really Raw Honey" brand to shame. The honey was clear and bright, like the color of sunshine. It's texture was much lighter and not as syrup-y as the honey from the store. I am treating this little box as a precious gift, know how long it took for our queen bee and her workers to make such a tasty piece of art. Each little comb was perfectly shaped, like bee condos. I felt a bit guilty eating this delicate piece of sweet architecture.

8 Comments:

At 7:10 PM , Blogger K said...

I love flaxseeds - eat them every morning! They've got essential fatty acids in them, which can be hard to come by if you're vegetarian like me.

The beekeeping sounds magical... I'd be tempted to jump on the bandwagon if we didn't live in the suburbs (our housing association actually forbids keeping bees).

Must go to bed. Not quite as alert as Malena at this hour...

 
At 8:44 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

How cool! I know what you mean about how honey fresh the hive is so much sweeter, a gal at my yoga studio has her own bees and she gives me some honey sometimes and it's so tasty! So are you afraid of bees anymore? Is the Boss the only one the only one that has been stung so far? Namaste

 
At 6:13 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Hmmm...Glen, honey, you stole my line.

This upsets me so much I am breaking out in HIVES. I'll have to BEE quicker in the future.

Venus Seaweed just stole my earring, and went tearing madly around the house with it. I counted getting it back from her as my morning workout.

She then hopped up on my coffee table, hooked her paw into my mug of tea and took it DOWN.

Revenge is sweet.

 
At 7:51 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

This little Venus is real trouble (as said old Vulcan)...

I love the mischevious and creative mood of the Olgans in those hives. They sound so much like a clump of pesky fairies (maybe they ARE, really)

Flax seed are great: I put some in the home made bread and they can be sprinkled over salads, yoghurts and cheese alike.

 
At 8:28 AM , Blogger ariandalen said...

I have only eaten honey the past 20 years, approximately. I didn't like it until I had some that a friend of my father's had harvested from his bees. It was very dark, and the bees from this hive had pollinated fields of okra. It was wonderful. ::sigh:: I haven't had any honey that tasted as wonderful since then. My father's friend had to quit beekeeping as the fields from which they got their pollen were covered with insecticides which killed the bees. Stupid local farmers. :P

I've been told that honey can help with airborne allergies, but the honey has to be local, like within three miles of where you live. I haven't done any research on it, so I can't verify it. Relatively local honey can sometimes be found at farmer's markets, so even urban dwellers aren't completely left out.

I thought we had a wild hive on our property, but they seem to have moved on. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in Central Texas as we have Africanized bees. Not the sort of thing you want around with two young children.

Anyway, happy honey eating!

 
At 9:29 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Mmmmm, truly fresh honey....

 
At 12:23 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Bees rock

 
At 11:20 AM , Blogger Rubius said...

sounds honeylicious... hope you queenbees are well.

Nice article Spacedlaw, thanks for the link.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home