Thursday, October 04, 2007

Houses and Dreams

Hmmph. Have you ever noticed Home-owning is one step forward , two steps back? This morning the Electric Dudes came over to hang my new chandelier ( well, not NEW, very old actually ) in the kitchen. It's very lovely and Spooky and cool and ought never be in a kitchen in any home except for mine ( and perhaps our Malena's ) and I was very excited to get rid of the horrid 70's florescent light that was there.

Well, it looks great. WAY out of place, which I love, only....Now the table and chairs don't go. Completely wrong. They must go.

I even know what I want in there. I know the PERFECT table and chair for the space. The sad thing is they currently reside in Malena's dinning room and even if she WOULD send them to me ( selfish creature ) I would need to get rid of the re-fridgerator, which might create it's own set of problems.

Again, Hmmph.

I also have a plan to ditch my claw foot bathtub ( which is currently a planter ) and put in a washer-dryer in the bathroom, saving me hauling my laundry down to the basement and having to use the most non-code Steps of Doom. May have to wait for St Pats Day to pay for it tho.

I picked up Melissa Etheride's new cd yesterday. She does a lot of things I like, some 60 second interludes every so often, and there are a couple songs I do like, and I do respect any artist to make the album they need to..One makes the cd one needs to, but, well, she's really happy, in love and having just beat cancer, really closer to the spirit side of things. All good. And yes, War is bad. Again good. I don't know, I like hungry in music. I like a bit more of an edge. I like doom, disaster, broken hearts and need.

I am glad for her tho, being so in love and happy, and am going to play it a bunch and find the things I like best on it. I love " message to myself " and " I've known you before" and all the interludes, it's a well made cd, with some great guitar work, nice cd to dream to I think. She makes some good points. I want a cover cd from her, tho, like Tori did a few years back.

Ok, high time I went off to work. I shall listen to my cd, and dream about my house. ( of course, if I am going to dream , I am SO adding a garage with a secret passage to the basement and a circular staircase to replace the Steps of Doom....)

Love, Music and Houses,
Lorraine

15 Comments:

At 10:07 AM , Blogger Beez said...

I love the idea of a chandelier in the kitchen. It's perfect.

Face it Lorraine, you're never going to be "done" with the house, I'll bet tweaking is in your blood. It's the artist in you.

If Dog ever wants a playdate, just holler. My Mika had the best time with her white shep buddy Juno, but alas and alack, we haven't been to Two Harbors in eons.

What did you all ever do with the grapes at Boss's house?

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

Yr right. There is no Done, I am sure of it.

we ate a bunch of the grapes, of course, and they were lovely and I juiced tons nd froze it, to use for whatever. I was going to make rainsens, but never got that far.

Today I am drying more apples and the whole house smells like apples, which is nice.

Cabal did have a play date today, with Freckles, his friend from dog school. We put them in the play yard, kind of the Ritz of Dog Yard, the thing even has a POOL, but I looked out at one point and Cabal was tugging on the leash I use to secure the non-Cabal proof gate, and Freckles was tunneling out, like they had this dog escape plan.....

 
At 4:05 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Wait wait wait... you're going to *ditch* a clawfoot tub?

***weeps***

If you're really just throwing it away and it's halfway salveagable I'd be tempted to drive up there and get it out of your way.

Houses are never done. This is where my recurring fantasy of living in a van with the dog comes in. When I've had too much House, my mind wanders off to blissful campervandom. :-)

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

We need pictures of this kitchen. Stat!

 
At 5:59 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

Well, ditch/sell I had thought to see what they went for and see if anyone local wants to buy it, I am not exactly throwing it away...

It's very nice, but I just keep plants in it, I have a hot tub, and if I want a bath, the other house has a nice one, and it isn't much nice for bathing, this claw foot, the drain is halfway up, so it is shallow and you can't lie down in it.

And the laundry is REALLY way down in the basement, this would make SO much difference for me. I know, I know, I want to keep this house OLD, but I really do want laundry upstaires . ( where the clothes are! )

 
At 6:00 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

I am still having camera issues, but they ought to get taken care of shortly, then you will have some pics! Every day!

 
At 7:10 PM , Blogger Beez said...

*falls over laughing*

Well of course they had their doggie escape plan. It's in the job description, pool or no pool.

The house smelling like apples sounds heavenly, and I'm glad the grapes were good. What variety were they? I haven't gotten too far into the north-hardy types yet, but it's coming.

You have a good point. A bathtub you can't lay down in is just a planter, and I am all too familiar with basements and Stairs Of Doom. My knee probably still remembers the fall and crash-landing.

 
At 7:35 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Ah, bummer. I was thinking it was a nice deep one which is what I'm looking for.

I'm a girl without a tub. WAH!

I'm looking for one 5 feet long (tiny bath), really deep, and *not* acrylic. Plastic is icky.

The Japanese soaking tubs are great - wonder why they don't have them here?

 
At 8:58 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

A chandelier in the kitchen; what luxury! Love reading about your home improvements! Please post a photo of the chandelier. I think you have wonderful taste!

 
At 10:31 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Looking forward to a picture a day !
Smell of apple in the house. Isn't that the most perfect thing (along with smell of baking)? It brings out memories of childhood
:)

 
At 3:54 AM , Blogger K said...

Laundry upstairs? I can't imagine dragging heavy wet laundry down STAIRS to get to the clothesline. My washing machine is right by the back door... (can you tell I'm a lazy slug where housework is concerned?)

Ah well, each to her own.

 
At 7:27 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I think it is a weird American thing, this laundry in the basement. Doesn't make SENSE now does it?

Today I pick up my dishwasher, tho old one was fine , until it broke in a cloud of despair, except it never really washed the dishes very well.

It was funny buying a new one, they were trying to sell me the ones with 18 buttons that did an amazing amount of different things , and I asked, is there one that loads and unloads itself??? No apparently, so I said " I want ONE button. It should say WASH. "

 
At 8:07 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

But they don't make those "on button" machines anymore.
You NEED at least an eco and half load program. AND to be able to program it to wash in the hours wehn electricity is cheaper.
There is NO escape from progress (or what passes for it).

 
At 10:39 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I don't think we have hours when it is cheaper , here in the country, and I would only wash it if it was full. I like the one I got. It's black, Goes with everything .

It cost one weekend of gigs.

The asher dry er tho will cost more than a ST Pats day , hee-hee.....

 
At 7:08 AM , Blogger K said...

Oh, OK. It never occurred to me that the washer would be in the BASEMENT. Houses in Britain tend not to have basements - unless it's a big tenement building, and then the basement is generally somebody's flat.

Hauling the wet laundry up stairs would be worse than hauling it down them!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home