Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Night!

I am spent today getting more and more excited about Halloween! Here is me in my costume...



I seem to be costumed as Myself. I made hot cider, ( I have a Spooky Sighter Cider Thing ) got candy , a few last minute Bats and Skulls, lit all the candles, got my Halloween Town all battery-ed and plugged in..... I was ready for the Party!

Then it dawned on me, that I hadn't actually invited anyone and I was having a party by myself. Gads, I thought, Who has a party by themselves???? I wanted to write something about Halloween and magic and the Spirit that lives inside us, and the monsters that live under the bed, when I saw the link that Spacelaw had posted. And I think she already said it. As well, if not better that I could. It deserves its own post....

Here's to having your own Halloween party!!!!! Many thanks Spacelaw!



" This year, pushed by a certain amount of nostalgia, I decided to host a Halloween party.
But since I live in a country where people do not celebrate Halloween, I decided to keep it private.



My heart is full of ghosts, so the choice of that organ for a haunted house seems adequate. My ghosts are cheeky enough – they are friends after all - so I am sure they will be game.
Decorating will not be so much of an issue: The walls are a deep red and gory looking already and Time has left plenty of cobwebs in the corners of my head or in abandoned chambers of my heart to pitch a perfect atmosphere. Memories of laughter long past and gone will be our lights: They are both suitably faded and bright enough still that we shall not need more. Having said that, a few skull shaped candles here or there will not go amiss.

Love will be our drink for the party, fizzy and lethal. I hope you don’t mind…
It shall bubble from the cup of our lost illusions, rich and bitter like crushed friendship, raising to our head like a torment. Sweet torment!
How lucky it was to have suffered loss of love so we might now enjoy the sweetness of that in bloom. How could we fail to get drunk on such nectar?

Spiders in their webs will play a string concerto.
Music is a memory they say. Let it tinkle in the chandeliers, caress the ribbons of poetry hanging at the window like so many chimes. Let it tick in your soul and tack in your heart, reeling in the sweet buzzing of bees in summer, the wind howling in your hair and that minute whisper of the first drop of snow flying in the river. For our more animal needs, nearby blood rushing will drum a deeper melody of time and hunt.

For what is a party without flirt? Do mingle and have a good time.
The ghosts here are all friends and enjoy a laugh or two. Or three. No doubt they will tell you numerous funny anecdotes of their time, embarrassing me with awkward tales, pictures and many a re-enactment in their impish ways. They'll try to spook you too, no doubt; it IS Halloween after all is said and done. They mean no harm but if you feign horror they will be delighted. They have so little occasions to enjoy themselves... They will trick and treat you until it is time for you to leave (which is when candles will be sputtering and threatening to set my heart on fire).

Above all, have fun, for that is what parties are for.
Otherwise you might as well be sitting at home in your pyjamas, munching on the odd cookie."


A few people did end up dropping by, a Boss, a Young Person and her friend, Merry housekeeper with Mini-man and the Spooky Daughter, and Christy and Drea, all very fun. Now tho, it's me and the candles and the ghosts and a Freaky Little Venus. And we are having a magic time.

Happy Halloween, Everyone!!!!!!!

17 Comments:

At 7:56 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

Sounds like a perfect party.

As for the posting I completely agree. Spacedlaw I love your poetry. I read it earlier and it said everything, it was just wonderful.

'fizzy and lethal' - great
'rich and bitter like crushed friendship' - perfect

a beautiful posting

Happy Halloween folks!!!
and Lorraine, you look just gorgeous in that photo. Love the smile.

 
At 8:25 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Thanks! That's my Special Halloween smile.

I like the bit about Spiders and Music best, Spacelaw...

I remember last Halloween, Malena and I gave eachother the same gift, two different light up fortune teller ceramic things...This year I sent her a card or wee giftie every day of October. Towels, salsa, herbs, stickers, cards, you name it!

My Lisa Snellings Poppets, Sad Little Brain and Skull Dude that I snapped up at her ebay auction , came today. Has she got timing or what???

 
At 8:43 PM , Blogger Beez said...

Great writing Spacedlaw. I'm keeping it in my "Cool Things" folder.

Lorraine, you make a wicked lovely....you.

Happy Halloween all.

 
At 8:53 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Spacedlaw - that was absolutely beautiful and put some lovely ghosty images in my head.

Another spirit solo on Halloween? I have 2 pointy eared friends and a grinning pumpkin. BUT I'm looking forward to driving up tomorrow and seeing friends this weekend. :-)

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Yes, Maureen, looking forward to seeing you at Charlie's this weekend. Paul and I are lots of dorky Irish fun!

I did a blog over at www.paulandlorraine.com which is completely made up, but fun none the less, hee-hee...

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

Lorraine, you looked just beautiful in your photo, I'm happy that your spooky atmosphere was view by close friends. Sounds like a lovely Halloween. Did you get many trick or treaters?

 
At 9:33 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

actually I liked the bit about the spider a great deal too... (I'm in the midst of rereading Anansi Boys right now) and also 'Memories of laughter long past and gone will be our lights: They are both suitably faded and bright enough still that we shall not need more' It just sets the mood so nicely.

Ooohh, which poppets did you get??? Which brain and what is the Skull Dude??? I REALLY loved the magnetic skeletons but alas, couldn't afford them.

The fireworks are still going around my place. I just came back from standing on my deck watching two batches of them from different locations.

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger kali_licious said...

I think your costume is lovely, Lorraine;)

And spacedlaw, that was gorgeous.

 
At 5:27 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

beautifully written spacedlaw! Lovely! My daughter had fun at her party, but the parent was not invited, and we live too remote for trick or treaters so I was alone as well, tho I very much enjoyed getting the party set up and decorated, didn't like so much the cleaning up....hope everyone's evening was lovely, I guess its Christmas now, as that is ALL that is in the stores. I really dislike the earlier and earlier start to Christmas retail - it will probably start after the 4th of july soon.

 
At 6:30 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Lovely picture but it grieves me to think you at home alone, even if you ended up having some good time nevertheless. Venus seems the perfect Halloween companion but where is Misty?

Gee, thanks for the compliments everyone. I am glad nobody can actually see me blushing. I think my ears are steaming form all that heat...

"off to battle NaNoWriMo"

 
At 8:20 AM , Blogger Malena said...

yes Spaced law does write well. We have such a talented group here.
Fablo, your makeup is stunning.
Miles took photos of us in front of the house last night. I'll post them soon. Halloween stores are now having their clearance sales, so I'm off to get things for the party Friday. What started as a get together ended up being a serious event. Hmmmm. That always happens with Malena parties. Hee hee Wish you were ALL coming!
Hugs
M

 
At 12:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that your boss has been challenged (along with a few other people) to a word war on the NaNoWriMo site. :D

BTW, I still read a ton, but haven't been very post-y lately. I really want you guys to come back to Maryland. :D

 
At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I put the main link, not the full link. Here's the challenge.

 
At 2:44 PM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

go spacedlaw! nice ringing in my ears, those words..
and yes, blush on!
my halloween was low key, NO neighborhood kids, cause there aren't any, only oldsters around here.
BOOOOO

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Misty hid under the bed with all the monsters...I think they had their own party....Lots of times I don't mind being alone, work is pretty intense sometimes and flopping on the couch with Jammies and cookies is not such a bad option.

Of course my make up was stunning, Malena , YOU bought it for me and taught me how to put it on!

I got from Lisa Snellings, a wee little poppet ( 2 actually , but don't tell Malena ) a pumpkin poppet called " Sad Little Brain " and a poppet dressed as a skull dude. I so love her work!!!! If I even have a LOT of moeny I really want her to make me a Halloween, spooky gothic cuckoo clock....

Booo to you too Miss Kitty!

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger Malena said...

I just found out I have 2 more parties to attend! Tonight is my little house party. I must go buy Cider. Photos soon to follow

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I'm havin' a party...
Party by myself...
^_^

I love your Special Halloween smile.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home