Monday, October 08, 2007

Birds and Bathrooms

Saturday was a really fine days all around, except for the fact that it was 87 degrees, kid you not, broke all the records. The Bridchick was out with some Bird Friends ( no, THEY weren't birds, they were men who were friends of birds, like the Birdchick ) and they spent the day banding all the little birds they could catch. You can read about it HERE

They let me " help " them some and even let me hold a wee bird, which have never done before, and then release it.



The dishwasher and garbage disposal are in ( can you handle the excitement ??? ) and I have been giving a lot of thought to my washer/dryer in the upstairs bathroom situation. If I am going to take out the tub, I may as well take the separate shower unit out and get a new one. My shower is BEYOND ugly, I'll take some pics for you, it looks like something you would buy if you had no taste and wanted your home to look like a pre-fab middle American house. Ugh.

Ok. So the shower unit goes and I get a nice new one.

Well, we didn't re-do the wallpaper when I moved in. It's pretty horrid too. So we may as well take that down, and re-paint, deep purple for the wainscoting and an off white for the upper half.

Hmmm...I hate the lighting too, faux Tiffany stained glass with gold/brass coloured metal bits. Again, WAY middle America. ( I can't think how else to describe it, can anyone ? We need to explain the horror of this to our friends from Europe. ) So, new lights all around.

I couldn't help but notice that the windows have silly faux lace curtains and blinds that do not GO . So they GO too.

I can live with the floor. Largely because I haven't a clue how much this is already going to cost me. See? That's home owning. You decide to do ONE LITTLE THING and BAM! You're re-doing the whole darn bathroom.

( oddly enough I have been listening to Malena all week describing the horrors of HER re-doing the bathroom. It always happens like that with us. We do the same things, same time, half our conversations go " I'm doing this...Oh Yeah, me too! " We have ceased to be surprised by this )

Love and such ,
Lorraine

14 Comments:

At 11:19 AM , Blogger Seth said...

A house is a hole in the ground you throw money into.

 
At 11:51 AM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Can we have an ugly shower contest? I have harvest gold tile in mine. If any of your EU readers have seen the Brady Bunch that might give an idea of Middle America decorating (and no, this is not MY harvest gold tile... it was already here and not my fault).

Our water heater just died. Trick learned from last time: at least it peed in the big pan it sits in this time instead of all over the floor, carpets, books, stuff, etc.

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Give your house an inch, it takes a yard! (If you're lucky you get the yard back, eventually.)

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

You looked so darling with that little bird in your hand. Home Improvement can be a nightmare! hang in there!

 
At 7:17 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Thanks to Merry Housekeeper tonight and her daughter ( who is a little Lorraine/Malena, child of my heart that one is, every bit as spooky as we are ) my house is getting clean again.

Misty-girl thinks the dishwasher ought to have stayed in it's box in the middle of the kitchen, it made such a lovely perch. ( WHY I spent all that money on a cat tree I will never know...Same with toys, the wrappers are WAY cooler )

Don't even TALK to me Seth, about holes in the ground, the basement is a whole 'nother matter.....

Now metallic gold tile, maybee. I am pretty sure I win the ugly shower contest tho..Yes, I will bring a camera home tomorrow night, promise!

And yard?? I shudder. Currently I am going with a wild, natural look. Mowing, huh. Overrated.

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

I watched "reDesign" on HGTV this afternoon. A couple had their kitchen completely redone with a Gothic flair. Lots of Gothic arches on upper cabinets, and a Gothic arch over the double sink with a stained glass window. A matching Gothic arch nook was built over the new stove/double oven. Both arches were tiled. The bottom cabinets had a pattern laser cut in them with fabric backing them. It was really nice, but it took _4 months_ from start to finish. That's a long time to be without a kitchen. They also didn't mention the cost.
And, yes, the couple had a Gothic theme throughout their house and they dressed the part.

 
At 11:00 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Buy a house = buy a life long of repairing/redecorating fun or misery, depending how much has to be done and how much you like doing that stuff.
The only temporary escape from that is getting a brand new house...

I swear the ugliest (and probably foulest) bathroom was in the 16th century canal house we had in Holland.
It looked like a tiny closet concreted in (no window or even ventilation sytem) with yucky yellow tiles everywhere. It took a lot of work (and money) to make something nice out of it (and in the process we discovered that behind the concrete there was a window...)

 
At 4:11 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

The Hot Birdchick just rang me and told me to get myself down into the wodds where she had spotted a Saw-whet owl, the smallest owl in this part of the world, it was just wee it was. SO CUTE. It looked at us and then went to sleep. ( yes, folks, it does get pretty exciting around here in the country...)

Go and look at her blog tomorrow ( www.birdchick.com ) for pics....

 
At 6:37 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

thanx for keeping us up to date, L. A fun time for all in the woods.

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Awww....saw-whets ARE cute! They're such wee little things (but I've heard terror tales about those beaks).

OK here's some bad 70s tile and if that's not good enough, I'll see your tile and raise you a scary floor of doom .

The rest of the house is lovely (immodest comment on my part 'cos I did the work, but what the heck). The basement is finished too. You might see why I'm beginning to resent the lack of fundage thrown at my room after I've done all that other work and must live with a shower and toilet in danger of plunging through the floor at any moment.

I think the Vess house has the coolest bathroom ever. I have severe tub envy.

Mowing is such a waste. I'm going for the native plants in perennial beds and pathways. No mowing! Lots of butterflies and birds. I highly recommend it as once you get it going, it's pretty low-maintenance.

 
At 7:56 PM , Blogger Beez said...

Saw whets are just about the cutest birds ever. Lorraine, you -do- look adorable in that picture but I keep hearing "....and I just might eat you little bird".

Yeah, it's probably just me.

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Maureen...Ok. You win.

I brought a camera and will take picks and post them tomorrow.

I am going to go pretty wild native garden-ish, next year, I am hoping. No time this summer. I do want something that doesn't need a lot of work. MOst of my neighbours have that sort of yard and they will help me.

That bird was too little to eat. You would need a flock to make a meal. It is safe..

For now.....Mmmmaahahahahh!!!!!!!

 
At 11:04 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

lol

an au naturel garden eh?

and no doubt, once the shrubbs come in, an au naturel hot-tub, from which you can jump into the snow?

te he

eat the flock indeed, you would never have the heart.

Owls are cool. My mom is an acomplished birder in her area, and we always stop to listen for owls before going to bed when I go home to visit. She also looks after all the Bald Eagle nests in our area (and there are loads) and organizes the Christmas bird count (which used to be a Christmas-bird-shoot but was changed so that now a bundle of birder groups count all the bird they can in the district in a day instead of killing them)... You should see the amount of hummingbird necter we go through in a summer day!! Birds have always been a constant in my life, even though I don't live terribly near my parent's place.

I really wish I had a home to redecorate and modify. I love the building part of the Sims2 game.... just so I can build and design houses and landscapes.

 
At 11:37 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Lucky you!
Owls are SO cute.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home