Saturday, April 15, 2006

Malena goes to the Magic Castle


Yesterday was suprisingly beautiful. On our way downtown, we saw a rainbow. Spring, I mean summer is here in Hollywierd. My Japanese Iris finally bloomed (after 2 YEARS of waiting) They are 5 feet tall already.


The night before none of the petals were open, then yesterday morning..BAM! Two flowers in full bloom. Nature is amazing.

Last night, we went to the Magic Castle.


They have a strict dress code. Men have to wear a TIE! In LA! Can you believe it? Sadly, Kurt Cobain died BUT his grunge style did not...It STILL plagues the city. Miles, being the sexy casual artist type, did not like wearing a stuffy tie. (He looked sexy as hell though)
So, we pull up to the valet and I see (once again) that I am WAY WAY WAY over dressed. I guess black tie means different things to different people. Now, Drag Queens..they know how to dress. I wore this velvet dress with a feather neckline and cuffs that Lorraine bought me. And of course, my funeral hat. So there I was in all my goth girl splendor, only to find out we were not allowed to take pictures. Ah! The horror. (Miles took this when we got home)

Luckily my three friends; Lourdes, Beth, and Christina were vamped out and ready to party. Everyone at our table was "Art Dept" so Gothic fashion and tattoos ruled. Except for Miles, who doesn't need to wear anything specific to be a freak. As he says, "we were born strange." Nothing could be closer to the truth.

The magic was quite good, and very funny. (The drunk lady behind us who sounded like a mixture of a cackling hen and Fran Drescher was also VERY entertaining.) Hey, I found some RICH material for my acting class that's for sure. My favorite magician was Kerry Pollock. He was really funny and didn't take his job too seriously. The funniest part of the evening was when a customer came up and ask me if I was "the tarot lady". Ha ha! What was I to say? I decided to go the easy route and said, "Oh, thank you but NO. I'm just eating here" I don't know which is funnier, that or the lady who was startled when I moved and said, "Oh I thought you were a mannequin." Believe it or not, that is not the first time someone has said that to me. Hey, I'll take both of those compliments home with me honey!

Ok, back to work on the Malena Collection. I'm working on all kinds of wristbands, and school girl skirts. Alter Ego says the samples will be ready by June. Yeah! AND, you will be able to order my designs right off my malenacollection.com website. Ohhhh I feel a fashion show coming on! I'll be putting out an ad for Goth models very soon.
(AND not just skinny ones!)
With Magic Wands and Tarot Cards,

Malena

12 Comments:

At 8:50 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

Great photos..all of them, but I have a special predilection for irises so... oh... wow... I love that one best. It is gorgeous. and the rainbow is splendid as well. and I adore the arm feather things.. nice addition.

It sounds like a fun evening and I am sure your party left everyone jealous of your fantastic fashion sense.

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

A line I like from the movie "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin is "always look better than they do, Janie darling". So, taking that to heart, I don't think it is possible to ever overdress.

You look awesome!

I have an iris plant which was my great grandmother's. They don't bloom in Florida, but it is still alive. I love irises...one of the things I miss from the DC area...that and lilacs. However, I have two varieties of pitcher plants growing in a cauldron that have flowered. That doesn't quite make up for it, but it is pretty dawg nawb cool!

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger kali_licious said...

Now THAT'S an iris..I love all varieties of them, but have a special weakness for the purple ones. This is the time of year when I really miss having a yard. (Sure I could grow some stuff inside but it has to be um, cat-proof;)

Overdressed schmoverdressed, why not dress to the nines when you have the excuse? I'm so glad Miles took a picture so we could see this goth-glorious ensemble.:)

Fashion show via webcam perhaps?? *lol*

 
At 5:44 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

That's a beautiful iris! Nice photography all around. You look mah-velous.

The magic castle sounds awesome! I remember reading about that place. (I taught illusion classes at a day camp in D.C. with a professional magician for two summers.)

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

Better overdressed than underdressed (unless we're talking fetish-ball, in which case better *un* dressed). =)

Wonderful feathery fabulousness! Ms. Quiche has good taste in Malena-wear.

Gorgeous iris. My carnations have just surprised me by not being dead and are actually starting to bloom!

 
At 7:59 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

Dan, the magician's name wasn't Allen, was it?

 
At 11:08 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

illusion classes? elaborate Danth..o wise one in the east!

 
At 4:38 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I have a friend, Philip, who was really into magic and used to do it professionally for parties and events and the like. There is, or was, a great magic shop in D.C. that he would take me to with signed pictures of magicians all along the walls.

Philip taught an illusions class at St. Alban's Day Camp several summers running. (St. Alban's is a private prep school during the year for Senator's kids and the elite muckety-mucks. The summer day camp attracted much the same crowd; one of my students, Sam, was Labor Secretary Reich's son.) For two of those years he got me a job as his assistant.

It was the wildest summer camp ever. Not "wild" in terms of "out of control", but as in "unbelievable". The oldest person I met there running things had to be 18 years old, tops, I don't know where all of the adults were. The other instructors and staffers were all very responsible, probably because their parents had been grooming them for political careers for years and they knew better than to cause scandal. No one blinked when we used our budget for gunpowder, fuses, and borrowed the starter's pistol from the track coach. (Our end of camp skit was the best; we had fire and death and resurrection.)

We taught the kids all kinds of crazy stuff. Basic card forces, how to fake a coin flip, lots of card tricks from there, tricks you could do with ordinary fast food objects. On the last day we taught them how to run a three card monte table.

I've been teaching Xander how to palm a coin, in preparation for starting him on coin magic.

 
At 2:23 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Beautiful pictures, Ms. Marvelous. :)
My irises got planted several years ago, but all we get are leaves. Then, last spring, I was listening to Mike McGrath's "You Bet Your Garden" on NPR and found out that we have them planted on the wrong side of the house; they're on the west side and should be on the east side. ::sigh:: Still didn't get them dug up last November and moved.

I don't understand some people's definition of black tie, either. I think society's standards on appropriate dress and curtesy have been slipping for some time, but I really don't have any ideas for massive improvement. I haven't had the opportunity to wear anything formal for......well, since high school. In college I was too busy running around with the "Take an Alien to Lunch Bunch," to bother with the annual formal dinner. That, and my dh doesn't dance; at least, not outside of the S.C.A.

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

It was one of the minor shocks when I moved down to FL. People wear shorts to 5-star restaurants.

Now, people here don't ever wear stockings...I can deal with that. You wear nice shoes and paint your toe nails and I like that...not that I have time to paint my toe nails.

 
At 1:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! domain hosting Naked gun answering machine message Comparison of tavist 2.68 and zyrtec Battery buying guide drug interaction xenical naproxen tadalafil generic apcalis Drivers for ati video graphic card

 
At 1:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Bad credit 125 home equity loan Demolition insurance Repair moen faucet Paraguay cheap calling card People who look gay Hewlett-packard 3820 printer 1971 cadillacs Golf ft meyers florida stop smoking Hilo mcse class java roulette

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home