Thursday, October 13, 2005

Post Mortem

Our little nocturnal creature of the night ( Malena ) is up and about and has posted the MP3 of Post Mortem on Our Love . Give it a listen. Please.

I was very happy with this one, as I first recorded it with Emma Bull , with the Flash Girls in 1993. It's a cd that is long out of print now , so it made me very happy to do the song again, with all the bits I always felt it ought to have had.

Including an Un-Dead Dixieland Jazz Band chorus at the end of it. Go figure. ( don't think THAT wasn't fun to record. Malena literally phoned in her vocals. Via a cell phone held up to the mic. )

It's the only song that ever came to me in a dream, actually. The music, not the words, those are Neil's. I was trying to find a tune for the words and dreamt one night of Tori Amos, it was just about the time her first cd came out and I dreamt she was singing Leather and the song sort of went off into the music that became Post Mortem at the end of it , and I woke up, ran downstaires and worked it out on the guitar, singing it over and over until I was sure I wouldn't forget it. I'm not sure she shouldn't have some of the credit, that Fouth Dimension stuff is strange, hee-hee.....Not sure how the rules work.

There you have that little bit of history.

Hope you enjoy.

Love and Dreams, Lorraine

8 Comments:

At 7:29 PM , Blogger ravyn said...

i like both tracks, the melody on Dark Sonnet is very haunting indeed.

But it sounds, at least on my laptop speakers, as if the sound level is a bit high, is that the MP3 file?

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Appleblossombeck said...

I lurved them both--my husband and I got both stuck in our heads upon first listening. That's a really cool story about getting the tune for the song.

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger Maure said...

The volume was noticably higher on Post Mortem, for me. But I v. much enjoyed both songs.

Oooo, also, I owe both of you chocolate and mangoes for your corset endorsing. I just got my first Alter Ego one, and am absolutely in love. I don't know if your boss shared the chocolates I sent back in spring, but I think they're wonderful.. and I believe they make a mango confection. I should bring some along to the DreamHaven signing in Nov/Dec.

 
At 8:30 PM , Blogger Angie said...

Lorraine! This is the Angie of many years ago in Minneapolis, for a blast from the past. While procrastinating from chemistry reading, I was skimming LiveJournal and saw Neil's post about the MP3's, so of course had to go listen, and then it was all over. I'm a student again, and don't have much money, but will have to order your CD.

The new "Postmortem" is fantastic. I literally laughed aloud and clapped in delight at your "mmm, with a knife" (which I'd been hoping to hear!), and the crazy Dixieland ending is just wonderful.

I only read blogs sporadically these days, thanks to piles of homework, but I'll have to add yours to my rotation. Can't wait to hear the rest of the CD, either!

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

Angie! my little blue haired friend! How lovely to hear from you again, I am so glad you liked it! Would love to hear more from you, do keep in touch!

Malena and I are changeing the songs a bit, the two were to much alike and we want to give everyone a better look at the cd, so there is another new one up for you to hear!

Enjoy!

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

Oh, and yes, the sound is due to our in-expierence with web posting that the sound is strange, the cd is fine....

 
At 8:04 AM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

Maure, Neil did share those chocolates, do bring some more, these are special. Where do they come from again?

 
At 11:30 AM , Blogger Maure said...

They're from a tiny little slip of a place called BonBon, a couple of blocks away from me (in Chicago). The chocolatiers are a mother and daughter. It's one of those places you really like to have nearby but almost wish weren't quite *so* nearby. It's hard just to walk past it without stopping in for just a nibble...

I'll see about sending some your way. It should be cool enough again that they won't turn into a confectiony soup in transit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home