Saturday, October 22, 2005

How To Get Popular at the Post Office

If you have ordered a cd, it is now on it's way to you! ( you , too, Mistress Mousey, remember , you sent us Fairy Skirts! ) It has been quite a morning here. Got up early and packed up all the little guys, with a complete case of Zombie Gig Head, and off I went to town and the post office.

Seems it's Homecoming Day here. Far as I can tell that means roads are closed and hundreds of people walk across the street Really Sloooowwly. Not to worry, thinks I, I have nearly half an hour until it closes.

Forgot wallet. Back to the country. Get wallet. Get to post office. Four minutes before it closes on a Saturday.

With several hundred cd's .

NOW I am popular. The only thing to do in that situation is to get REALLY entertaining really quickly. ( I have a new hit song called " Jean is the coolest Postperson ever! " )

But all's well that ends well, thank the gods I live in a small town..

And thanks to everyone who came down to the club last night for a CD! It was lovely seeing you, and in some cases meeting you. I have to say tho, it is not my favorite place to play. Nice bar and nice people, but the way it is laid out, people can't really see and interact with the band, except for a table or two, so we are kind of background music, and I really like the talk and banter that goes on in a more intimate setting.

I will say this for them, they had the ever present big TV, but instead of a Sport on, they had the Travel Channel, so I got to watch some shows which I imagine were called " Haunted Houses and the Things That Haunt Them " and " Graveyards of the World and Things We Have Dug Up In Them " and " Really Weird Fish "

Hopefully tonight will be the same. Or some of you will be at that front couple of tables, and we can exchange witty banter on, Irish Music, Haunted Houses and the best beer to fill up your glass with.

I'll be there all night, and early, very early, tomorrow, I'm off to take some cd's to our Malena. I hope she likes them.

And you do too!

Love and Haunted Houses, Lorraine

5 Comments:

At 1:55 AM , Blogger K said...

If there isn't a TV show called "Really Weird Fish", that's a missed opportunity.

What is "homecoming"? I've often wondered (well, when that Monkees song about a 'daydream believer and a homecoming queen' comes on the radio, I do. Although I know what a homecoming queen is, sort of.)

I was sympathizing with your post-office timing problem, until it occurred to me that if it was me, I'd have arrived four minutes AFTER it shut, not before. But yay for the CDs being out! SO exciting!

 
At 6:55 AM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

Lorraine here...The TV show saturday night at the Bar was a Sport followed by " Crocodile Hunter: Really Dumb Things I Have Done "

Don't exactly know what homecoming is, but we can find out. I believe there is much drinking involved.

 
At 1:17 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Let's see if I can shed some light on "homecoming."
"Homecoming" is the weekend set aside by high schools and colleges in the U.S.A. for all graduates to return to their Alma Mater to socialize with former classmates and teachers/professors. A sport is usually, but not always, involved - said sport usually being football. Whoever does the scheduling for said game tries to have the opponent one which the home team can defeat. The homecoming queen and king are chosen from among the current year's students by voting, though in the past the voting has usually been for the homecoming queen only. The "royalty" are presented either during half-time of the game, or at the dance afterwards. Neither the queen nor king have any duties, other than to look good. In other words, it's a popularity contest.

Long anecdote: I went to a small liberal arts college in a small town in Texas north of Dallas. At the time, no athletic scholarships were awarded, though I believe that is not the case now. My junior year, I believe, one of the art majors ran for homecoming queen and one. This was not a problem for those of us that voted for him, but the football team had a BIG problem with it. After all, they were NAIA national co-champions from the previous year. It did, in fact, draw the attention of some of the television news programs in Dallas. A new election was held. Football players stood over the polling places trying to be intimidating. It ended up being the first time a married student became homecoming queen. I can say that she was a relatively nice person as I had lived across from her in the dorm; however, the cow used by the "help stop world hunger" group got more votes than she did.

True story.

 
At 1:31 AM , Blogger K said...

Well, (to misquote JBS Haldane) the world is not only stranger than I suppose, but stranger than I CAN suppose...

Although I went to a university with weird traditions aplenty, so maybe the Brits are just as strange. (Sitting exams wearing business attire, gowns, and white bowties for the guys, anyone?)

 
At 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home