Monday, April 28, 2008

The Truth About Cats and Dogs and Bees...

We had the first meeting between Cabel the Dog and Zoe the Cat today. Two meetings, actually. Very fun. They seem to adore each other. Such a sweet bonding experience it was. He is so protective of her, and she cuddles him so sweetly. They ate side by side, Cabal carefully picking out bits of meat and offering them to Zoe.

Or not.

What actually happened was Cabel tried his best to get to Zoe and kill her, and Zoe for her part told us we all sucked. Still, not bad for a first day. I made him sit stay and told him LEAVE IT. For the second meeting I put the muzzle on and let them get a bit closer, and he lunged and she swiped with her claws of doom. Noone got hurt, and I put the fear of God into the dog. I used the She Who Must Obeyed Voice and said SIT STAY LEAVE IT BAD BAD BAD DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He sat. He stayed. He left it and then lay down on his side and showed me his belly. Which, from all my reading and watching Dog Whisperer shows, is a Good Thing. It he knows he did wrong and I am the Pack Leader. Dog Whisperer says when they submit and relax, that is the state you want them in. We will keep working. I cuddled Zoe and gave her her food, and told the dog he was wonderful and we will try again tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. ( Macbeth just might murder sleep )

I must say, the whole Dog Thing is very different from the Cat Thing I am used to. With the cats when they pee on you in bed, you say you are very sorry you didn't get up sooner and feed them. If the dog ever tried that.......

Speaking of cats, Freaky Venus Seaweed and Madame Malena Mim went to the vet today. Venus did her usual Great Escape and ran thru, up, down and all over the clinic, getting everyone involved in the chase. People were cheering her, and laughing so hard. Hmmph.

Mim is getting her spaying tomorrow. She is now 6 months old and it is time. I didn't think it would be quite that fast tho and now I am in the throes of OH MY POOR BABY!!! I know it needs to be done, but it's hard to see the little cuteness (ok, or Demon from Hell) have to go thru it.

The Bees are coming on Thursday or Friday. Three Boxes of Bees. I will need to go and pick them up from the post office as the postman declines to transport them all out to the house, seeing as how they are crafty little fliers and a few always manage to escape. I am very popular at the post office. Not sure how this will work in the Prius tho. I am going to feel REAL silly going in in my bee suit, but I sure as heck aren't driving home Covered in Bees without one.

The Birdchick also told me she has signed us up to be on the Swarm Patrol. This means when a flock of bees swarms (which means half of them leave the hive with the Queen and go looking for a new home) and end up in someones garage or back yard and THEY call the police or park people or whomever, they call US and we go and get them and re-hive them.

It's good to have friends, I say.

Life, is not dull.

Love and Dogs and Cats and Bees,
Lorraine

24 Comments:

At 4:26 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

Darling post! Yes, when a dog shows you his belly he / she is telling you that he trusts you! But who couldn't trust you? Thanks for sharing! Love and peace. Geri

 
At 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one got hurt, so that can be counted as a success. And yes, Cabal showing you his belly is a 'Oh, sorry,' move.

Ah, Dogs. Mine got all riled up last week, which you can read about on my blog (look for the fratboy 5150 post).

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mim tomorrow. :)

 
At 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know...at least as far as Cabell is concerned, you're alpha bitch. ;)

And the meeting of Dog and Cat could have been much worse. Let's face it, both animals are alive and unharmed.

It could be worse about the wild bee swarms. You could live in Texas where we have the Africanized bees. Wouldn't that be fun?
Not.

At least you're life is interesting. ;)

 
At 6:04 PM , Blogger Bulfinch's Aglaia said...

I love love love reading all about your very interesting life! :-) And GOOD JOB with the cat to dog meeting.

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Hera said...

Have you read The Dog Listener?? by Jan Fennell ? It's a wonderful book! She is inspired by the Horse Whisperer *this book has helped a LOT with Loki the mischief maker ;) !
xoxoxoxx!

 
At 6:40 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Killer Bees???? No, thank you very much....

Yes, both alive. Very good first day.

I haven't read that, Hera, but I'll get it, I have so much to learn about dogs, I've never had one before.

Poor Mim, this is too hard. Of course, after tonight, little demon, heard another of THOSE crashes in the kitchen. Don't even want to know....

Just discovered a breed call Singapura. Tiny cats. Cute. Sweet. Loveing. Nationial cat of Singapore. May be in trouble....

 
At 7:06 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Pantagruel, VERY funny! That is SO Dog!

 
At 9:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! Good thing Dog knows who's really in charge!

Venus is also an escape artist? Talented little devil. Maybe she thought she was gonna get spayed again? lol

Maybe if you made a sign for the car window that said "Bee Transport" you won't have to feel so overdressed.;)

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

The Bee Suits look kind of like in the movies where the Hazardous Nuclear Team shows up. I think I will go in and start scanning people with my Blackberry and saying things like "nothing to worry about here folks, go about your business..."

Been talking tonight with a breeder of Singapour cats in Minnesota. What cuddles they are....

And I always knew I wanted one more baby...NOT however, another Bengal, *Gods bless 'em.

( * dark destructive vengeful Gods...)

 
At 10:25 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Cabal is such a good boy (even if he does plonk his master on the head with a tube) but I get you had to work hard for that.
No time to get bored with life, as I can see.
Of course Cabal is going all "sorry, sorry sorry" but Zoe being the cat and therefore the superior being will not apologize to him. Or to you. Or to anyone else.

Mind that Mim doesn't pee on your bed again (or any favourite place) in revenge: Microbe did that when we took him home from the vet after his operation.

 
At 1:09 AM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

i believe that you can pass off the Bee Suit, like a fashion model,
and please first stop by the local grocery to shop in it, to warm yourself up... maybe the antique store???
(don't knock over anything expensive)

i was just sleepy enough to read the begining of your blog and sort of say, hmmm! he is picking out chunks of meat, who woulda thought--DOH.
you got me...
xox

 
At 4:20 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

too too funny - glad dog is learning! too too tired to say anything more....have a good day all

 
At 4:38 AM , Blogger SRBissette said...

If you succeed, of course, it's a sign of the Apocalypse. You know that, Lorraine, don't you?

 
At 4:54 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Wow. For the briefest of moment I thought I was reading Eddie Campbell's blog and wondering about the lack of arguments...

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I think that's becuase you are in tune with me on this Austraila thing, it is kind of taking up a lot of work these days....Arguments down there, eh? We'll have none of that here, thank you!

Kitty, you are a funy thing, can't wait for road stories.

Today I take Mim to the vet (hey she pees on my when breakfast is late, can't IMAGINE what I get for THIS) then go and do more Cabel and Zoe show ( actually, if I can pull this off, I might be able to rule the world. And if I do rule, we are ALL going to Heart)

Then I come back and check the one hive that is there, and see if the little darlings still have food in their food bucket drip thing.

Also Big Johnny and Hans the SHerpa guide are going to come to the woods and play with chainsaws.

As Opus once said " Well why don't we just make it a full day and go swimming in Molten Lead!!!"

 
At 6:45 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

I have full confidence in your skills as far as the Cabal/Zoe secret love story is concerned.
You shall have them as pal (well as far as a tentative truce at least).

Wishing you tons of fun with Johnny (which I am sure you will have).

 
At 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the story. ;) I think it's maybe the German Shepherd-ness Cabal and Dog have in common; my Dog is a German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix, and her sole purpose in life is to guard. I have an awesome 'alpha bitch' shirt from the OC German Shepherd Rescue society -- I think you need one, to point to when Cabal acts up. ;)

Man, your day sounds like... well, not like fun, but it certainly ought to make for some good blogging. Maybe start figuring out how to placate Mim now... and the Singapour cats do sound intriguing.

The chainsaws, men, and woods also sounds intriguing, but maybe that's just me. ;)

 
At 9:20 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Goodness! -I- am not going out in the woods with those two and chain saws! One , I need my fingers to play music, I do not DO chain-saws, and two, Hans and Johnny??? I shudder. You come play with them, Pantagruel..And yes! I so need one of those tees!

I have done the bees. It is so chilly, that they weren't all that interested, the bee suit was total overkill. I just had to nip in the hive and check the bucket, which was fine, and bid them good day and that was it.

Mim is at the vet.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Better be safe than sorry.
Bees (or any other insect that stings or bites actually) are known for causing road accidents.

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger ariandalen said...

I really shouldn't write while the girls are getting ready for bed. In my last comment, "you're" should obviously be "your." ::head/desk::

::sigh::

None of our cats, or dogs, have gotten upset with us after spaying or neutering. I can't say the same for how they reacted to the vet, though only one cat had a problem with vets after she was spayed. After Crystal was spayed, she hated vets, as in hissed, growled, threw a general all around fit when a vet came in the exam room. I have an idea why, but I won't subject anyone here, and we moved away from the vet that performed her spaying 24 years ago.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

If I were a Bee Whisperer and could train bees, I could ride my bike, and have them swarm along behind, or as Eddi Izzard says " I want to Keep Bees, I will put them on little elastics so when they go out they will come back with their pollen and I can keep them..."

I am going to cook a chicken for Mim (and Venus) when Mim gets back and then they will love me again. Of course, with Mim, heck a pizza would do just as well.

 
At 7:33 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

How did the operation go?
Is Mim back home?

 
At 9:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, why do you shudder about Hans and Johnny? I sense a story, here. :) I will not go play with them until I hear the story.

And I agree about chainsaws -- power saws of any sort make me extremely nervous. If I lose my hands, painting and writing are going to become really, really tough.

The shirt shall be yours! Email me about what size you would like. And then we can be matching Alpha Bitches! :)

 
At 7:32 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home