Sunday, March 16, 2008

St Pats Weekend, Part 1....

Well. Hello there. This was MEANT to be an account of the weekend so far, and be complete with pictures and witty bits, but I hadn't counted on having the Brain of Zombie, tho I should have seen it coming, truth be told. You can't PLAY this much and not have Brain of Zombie. We shall see what happens....

St Pats started on Friday, full house, and these people were READY. They may still be ready. And despite flying from LA late Thursday and getting up for work early on Friday, I was feeling pretty fine too.

Until Paul called. Paul is sick. No, make that SICK. He has a "cold" that is affecting him like the potato famine affected Ireland. Did I mention his VOICE is gone???? Good thing the crowd was one who seemed to like my funny bits and fiddle tunes as much as anything. It would have been BAD to have had to play the kind of show where we had to depend on singing, like the kind of crowd who wanted to hear Whisky in the Jar, over and over...( read: foreshadowing )

Skip to 2:00 Saturday. St Paul. I had never been to St Paul on St Pats. They seem to take it much more seriously than, oh, say, ANYTHING else going. We were playing a place I had never gigged, and scheduled to play in the tent they had set up in their parking lot. Oh, how cute, thinks I, who is going to show up to hang in a little tent, in the 30 degree temps, and listen to music at 2 in the afternoon...

Well, maybe 1000 people?????? And it wasn't one little tent, it was two huge ones hooked together. It was FULL at 2:00. And they were Not At All Sober. And I felt SO under dressed (hard to do in black velvet and rhinestones) These people work all year on their Green Outfits.

It then got fuller. And wilder. And Greener. I've never seen anything like it. Ever.

Fuller. Wilder. Greener. That is as much as my Brain of Zombie can bear to recall, tho I am sure the stories will come back in bits and pieces over the next few weeks.

Every so often bands of pipers would come piping thru. And every so often, someone would come to the stage and ask us to announce things like "if you are on the Killian's Buses, numbers 2, 5 7 or 8, they will be departing in 15 minutes..." Buses were lined up around the block and kept coming. And coming.

Onto the evening gig. Yes, same day. Fuller, wilder. Greener. But very very fun. The Mighty Fitz came down with his pipes, which was just exactly perfect. And everyone concerned, with the possible exception of Paul's voice and my fingers, had a wonderful time. (tho Paul was reduced to quoting Dr Suess, or rather, SPEAKING only in Dr Suess. A lesson in mixing 5 different cold medicins, Red Bull and Whiskey. Fortunately, it was hilarious..)

Which was just exactly perfect.

Tonight, the video with the Tim Malloys, and I am sure some sitting in will happen, no doubt, and tomorrow, all day and all night again.

Which sounds just excactly perfect too.

To be continued....(hopefully)

Love and Brain of Zombie,
Lorraine

23 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

counting down the days til i see my QUICHEY.
my lephrachaun violinist, and i am sorry that Mr. Score is down for the count.
yeowchy!
disregard phone call, the info was incorrect in intin,
the target has been acquired...
xoxoxo

 
At 9:27 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

What a trooper you and Paul are but the show must go on! Love your cure! Wow! I bet Red Bull & Irish whiskey works wonders! I hope you & your musical partner get that golden pot of gold at the end of your rainbow tour! Bless you on blessed Saint Patrick's Day! Love- Geri

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

You will see what is left of me SOON, MIss Kitty!

Glad all is well out at the shoot. Give Shelley a HUGE kiss for me and tell her , man, I so wish I was there. Any other weekend.....

The shoot here, was, well, Adam called it a Perfect Storm of Suck. There were some problems, not sure if we will have vid or not, but if anyone can do it, it was Mr Stiteiler and Crew, who rocked to do this for us, and for their parts, did most fine!

 
At 11:40 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Well that was a pretty articulate account for a zombie brain.
I worry for your fingers and health (not much to worry about Paul's - I hope he recovers fast, whisky should help to kill some of the germs).
I also worry very selfishly for the video, especially after all of you put that much effort in it.
Do try to get some rest, little zombie.

Happy Saint Patrick's day everyone!

 
At 1:55 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

You are a marathon-fiddler! Those people who do the "ultra" marathon where you run three marathons in one day? They're just the bipedal equivalent of you on the fiddle!

I'm glad to hear you survived the feat. Drink lots of fluids. ^_^

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Fluids. Right. Coffee is my friend. I know, I know, I do not drink coffee, but this is an emergency.

No more than one tho, I know my limits....

 
At 10:14 AM , Blogger Malena said...

Here in LA people are going well, wild isn't really the appropriate word. There was a little display at the grocery store on ONE shelf. The rest was Easter and other holiday stuff. I wouldn't know it was St. Pats if it wasn't for Fablo. Now in the SOUTH, THEY know how to party for St. Pats.
I went to a young girls house the other day and she had spray painted her violin. I about DIED. I asked her if she played it and she said no. So I picked it up and played a bit of the Ala Ruchka (sp?). It felt good. I haven't picked one up and played for a long time. THINKING OF YOU FABLO! Will someone bring her some Glucosamine and MSM please?

 
At 10:40 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

What's MSM?
To think people who are making violins are peculiar about the varnish they make and use for their pieces. And then it gets spray painted.

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Here's to surviving today (Monday)!

 
At 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy St Pats:)
I'll be thinking about you Lorraine.

 
At 5:36 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

Good luck Marathon Fiddler.

Good luck and much love.

Happy St. Pats everyone.

 
At 8:16 PM , Blogger Malena said...

MSM is a supplement for aching joints and pain. Mixed with glucosamine, it is quite effective I hear.
The magic goo is called Blue Stuff. Google it. My sister swears by it for her back pain.

 
At 11:41 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Survived. I think. Hard to tell.

The only thought that my poor brain can form right now is that 8 hours is too darn long a gig, when you arrive at the show and the place is packed, and it's full on. And full on. And full on.

It's like doing something that can't be done. After the first two hours, I looked at the clock and realized there were only SIX HOURS to go and stopped thinking about it.

The last two songs were Puff the Magic Dragon and Johnny Cash's Folsum Prison Blues.

Which I think sums it up.

Bed. Now. Good.

 
At 11:47 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Sleep tight.
Hugs.

 
At 8:04 AM , Blogger Rubius said...

Yeah... we still have a Lorraine!!! Have fun sleeping it off.

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Up now. Zombie. Back to bed.

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Don't forget to feed the kitties, little zombie, otherwise they might try that abusive behaviour on your bedding again...

 
At 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oof! Glad you survived the insane lengths of time fiddling. That sounds like quite the ordeal. ;)

 
At 12:23 PM , Blogger ivenotime said...

sleep well! I second the thoughts on feeding the felines...

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Hera said...

Wow that's pure madness!

and nothing helps really.. I used to try to soak my fingers in iced water during a long gig (that being only 3 hours.. when I was starting out).. but I found that if I stopped playing.. it would start hurting so I'd just end up playing 3 hours without breaks :)
(then the fingers can throb all they want afterward)

Someone once mentioned using superglue on the fingertips.. I never tried (although I imagine the softpaws glue would be much better..)

Hope you get some proper rest soon :) xox

 
At 2:06 PM , Blogger Beez said...

*blinks*

Never been to St. Paul for St. Patrick's day?

*falls over laughing*

Oh lordy Lorraine. No wonder you sound shell-shocked.

I worked in an Irish pub there and I remember the night before we had to remove anything that was breakable, burnable, stealable or could be used as a weapon. Paper plates and plastic cups only.

The first tray of drinks the very first time got taken out by somebody who had a trombone in the bar (don't ask).

 
At 2:13 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Wow! That sounds wild!
No. Scratch that.
That sounds savage.
And we let out dear Lorraine step into that madness?
!!!

 
At 8:29 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Well...it's Thursday, and as far as I know Ms. Fabulous still hasn't made it to Texas. At least, not to my house, via FedEx or any other means. ;)
Hope you're able to rest more. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home