Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Strange and unknown edibles


I went to the Farmer's Market today. Found some VERY strange veggies. Since I've been on that *no.... bread, rice, pasta, caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, wheat, corn, sugar* diet for the last year, I've been finding new things to eat. Can anyone tell me what that alien football thing is? It's some asian veggie I think. Hmmm. We'll see.

After walking around all those booths, I started thinking...WE ARE SOOOOOO LUCKY. How often do we stop and think about how good we really have it? Almost never. Our lives are so pressured we forget about how much peace we really have. We still have water to drink, and if we save it, and not waste, it could last longer than projected.
People all over the world are being bombed to bits.
Women are getting raped every day by extremists.
Kids are being bombed to death, and here we sit in our malls and our posh SUV's. Talking about what to wear to the next big party. I am just as guilty as anyone else. But I constantly think about what I can do to make things better. What can we do? All I can think of right now is STAY OPEN MINDED and READ all you can. Don't take anything for face value. ESPECIALLY the news! AND....stop eating stuff out of boxes. What does that have to do with the state of the world, you ask? Well, if you're not healthy and quick witted, certain people can take advantage of you. I always tell my daughter, "No one can take advantage of you if you're smarter than they are!"

Did you know Cheese-its are one molecule away from PLASTIC? We have to be strong, we have to be powerful in order to survive what is coming. And if you ask me what I think is killing Americans? IT'S OUR FOOD! We all eat like crap. We put tons of creams on our skin hoping it will flush away the wrinkles. Well, how about feed your cells from the inside? Since I met Miles, he has (lovingly) pushed me to eat better and take better care of myself. Because of him, I feel better than I did 10 years ago. Being AWARE of what's really going on in the world is the first step in changing it.
Ok, that's my rant of the evening.
XO
Malena the pretend Vegan
P.S. If anyone finds a chocolate scented candle, send me the link!

11 Comments:

At 3:46 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

But I liiiiiiike Cheese-Its. So it's a good thing Lori never buys them for me.

I think we're pickling ourselves with preservatives and processed foods.

Modernity is carcinogenic. It's almost too much to fight.

 
At 4:19 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

We try to shop fresh as much as possible - as my daughters have grown up they have really taken charge of what they ingest, and we have all improved our eating habits. As a society, we need to start rejecting alot of the manufactured and fast food available - childhood high blood pressure and diabetes are starting to be a national problem - which is just plain wrong. Poor diets and lack of exercise is one of our biggest national threats.

 
At 7:05 AM , Blogger vandaluna said...

I don't know when the last time we ate at a fast food restaurant was. Okay...sometimes I get the seven-layer burrito or taco salad from Tacky Bell, but not toooo often.

I've been on a processed foods rant for years now! I go down the aisle of lean cuisine, michelinas, stauffers, etc., and have nothing but negative comments to the childling about how poisonous they are. In fact, I would rather eat all natural foods with their full natural fats than something synthesized so it is low fat.

However, eventhough our food choices are degraded from the choices of 100 years ago, the people 100 years ago used lard to cook with among other bad dietary habits. It's all a trade off. I'll just continue to blame the baby boomers and the ME generation. ;-)

 
At 7:41 AM , Blogger bookczuk said...

Well, it's not a candle, but still may satisfy the chocolate cravings...

Sonic Death Monkey shower gel by Lush. Choclate and oranges. Yum

 
At 1:05 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Chocolate candles? Oh, yes.

http://www.warmglow.com/index.html

and check out

http://www.warmglow.com/candles/warmglow/grandmas-brownie.html

Been there... done that... it does smell very chocolate-y and they are made by hand. They've got a list of California stores on their website.

Dan - you may have my share of the world's supply of Cheese-Its. I've never been a cheesy snackfood fan, I am definitely a pretzel girl. The other stuff is too greasy.

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger ravyn said...

Okay i posted this link to Malena's blog the other day, but for anyone interested in immersing themselves in chocolate, i give you....

Chocolate Moon's chocolate salt scrub!

 
At 4:26 AM , Blogger vandaluna said...

Yannow, it occurs to me that our parents were the ones who went ga-ga over fast food, indulged in new plastic foods and smoked cigarettes. Could it be those factors affected our health from before birth? Think about this, it is our generation who are demanding organic and wholesome foods. Our parents generation never saw the likes of the organic groceries we have today. And, while we don't have any here in PC, our local grocery store does have a nice selection of organic food both fresh and dry goods. We also are the ones who have take aim at McDonalds and demanded more wholesome food choices.

When I was little, there was no such thing as diet-conscious. People ate anything. I know one girl now who eats McD's garbage, she has taken so much ridicule for it, AND she reports that the stuff is making her sick now and she isn't eating it anymore.

Heee, just _food_ for thought.

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger faerydusted1 said...

Holy cow, Ravyn- that looks completely sinful!!!

I have thought a lot about what you said, though, Vanda. And just to put another spin on it, I was thinking about how its interesting great that things are much more available now. When I first became a vegetarian it was much more difficult to find products that I liked or that tasted good (as opposed to the football-tofu-turkey that my mother got my first veggie-Thanksgiving.. blech!) or that were organic (not a requirment, just feel a big better about them).

In more recent years its much easier. Just about every local shop has vegetarian & vegan products & reasonable prices. And they're healthier. (Its very easy to eat meatless and eat unhealthy.)
I even saw a vegetable market spring up in my neighborhood last month. I was floored.

Although I supposed if we all slowed down and cooked or just ate raw things we wouldn't need all these easy 'products' at all. :/

Above everything else I'm very grateful that I can choose where I shop and what I eat. There are many more people in the world that don't have those choices.

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger ravyn said...

faerydusted: Trust me, it IS sinful! Of course, the Chocolate Moon web site is gone, so they might be out of business. i stocked up just in case.

i used to do a neutral henna treatment on my hair once a month, and use the scub while rinsing off in the shower. i called it my "spa day". Tellyawhat, it is really really nice....... the chocolate scrub has orange essential oil in it so it has a citrus-y scent. Yummy. i highly recommend it :-D

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger Malena said...

Gotta get me some of these choco products girls and Danth. Today, I'm planting Sorrel Lorraine sent me and Wormwood I bought of ebay. I love the feeling of dirt in my fingers. I even bought a box of ladybugs. They are supposed to eat the bad bugs. I'm on "Farmer Hiatus" till the next job comes.

 
At 12:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bumpy thing looks like bitter melon and the round things maybe heirloom tomatoes?

I love farmer's markets for these rare finds.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home