Monday, January 23, 2006

Introducing Gemma

The gigs this weekend were so much fun. I've said it before, but Charlie's is everything an Irish Pub ought to be. Small enough so that you can see everyone, and the people who come are there for the music. Paul put it best on Saturday night when he said " It's one of those nights when the family just got a little bigger " We had so many people back from two weeks ago, and they in turn brought more folks, including Gemma a 70-something Irish lady , from Donnegal, I believe. She grew up with Irish music, and seemed to know all the players from Ireland well. As in, " oh, yes, he lived down the road a piece. " She knew all the songs, and we talked her into coming up on stage to sing for a bit.

Not difficult.

In fact, she came up twice during the evening. You could have heard a pin drop . Amazing she was, the entire bar went silent and listened, and nearly gave her a standing ovation when she was thru. Stole the show she did. I think she may be in the ( as yet un-named ) band now, we know a good thing when we see it! We are back there on February 10th and 11th I think , and I hope , that she is coming back. Sadly, my camera died and I didn't get pictures but I certainly will if she joins us again. Wonderful lady, Gemma, they were there when we arrived and they stayed until we quit. Did I mention she drank the entire time as well??? Never seemed to effect her, she just kept right on going. I myself would have been on the floor.

There was a wedding party too. They had just gotten married OUTSIDE ( Huh? Says I, what were you thinking??? ) and we pushed the tables around and gave them some special dances.

It was just one of those nights when I remember why I do this. Everyone is a part of the evening. I just play the music.

I am still loving my workouts. I am still so sore I can hardly move. Tonight I am taking a class called SWEAT. Delightful I am sure. It is such a great feeling tho, I can't even tell you, but everyone should do this. It makes every part of your life better. I have so much energy. I am even writing again and I am not the writer in this household, but it keeps coming out, and I can't seem to stop. I am hoping that my little poems will grow up and be songs for the new cd. My winter sadness is gone too.

Tomorrow I am off to spend a week with Malena. This , too, makes me happy.

Love and Sunshine,
Lorraine

7 Comments:

At 11:56 AM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

hurray! you coming tomorrow--
i couldn't recall date.

love the story about Gemma, wish there were photos but next time, right?
and finally am so very proud of your accomplishments, little L.
maybe we can rent bikes and ride the boards in venice-to keep up your sore muscle feeling...!

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Sounds like fun was had by all. :)
As far as Gemma's drinking goes, she had probably been drinking alcohol for more of her life than you have when she was your age, and she may not have had as many drinks as you think. Europe, including Ireland and surrounding isles, simply does not have the fresh water sources that we do. It's simply a matter of what is available to drink and what everybody else is drinking.

 
At 6:12 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Hurray for fun gigs! I wish I could have been there. I will have to try to con work into sending me through town and try to coordinate when you're having a gig at Charlie's.

Have a safe trip out! Give Malena our love.

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger ivenotime said...

how fun, and Gemma sounds wonderful - wish I could have been there. sounds like a great time! Have a safe trip west, have enough fun for all of us slogging thru winter!

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

"Paul and Lorraine" anagrams to:

a nun or a drill ape
a nun or a peril lad
parade ill, or a nun
dial paler or a nun
a ruler on paladin
ponder an ill aura
pale aural, no rind
on an aural red lip

I rather like "Ponder An Ill Aura", but I'm not sure it makes a good band name.

 
At 6:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

 
At 6:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home