Saturday, January 07, 2006

Bouzouki's and Wandering Felines

Here is Paul ( and uh, me ) with his new Bouzouki at the show last night. To say he was amazed and delighted does not cover it. He has been wanting one for the past month and moments before I gave him this one, was telling me how he had managed to arrange to borrow one so he could start learning right away. Happy man he is. Of course, he started playing right away, first time he touched one, and could already make music on it!

This is a Celtic Bouzouki, or sometimes called a tenor mandolin. There is a Greek version of the thing as well, but this is the one most often used on Celtic music. It is strung like a violin or mandolin, with double strings, and has a wonderful rich, warm sound to it, much nicer than the plinky plinky of a mandolin. Perfect for playing with fiddle tunes. I told him we are playing again in two weeks and he had better have some ready.

The gig last night, our first as a duo, went wonderfully! We had a great time. The crowd had a great time and I can't wait to play again this evening. The people in this pub come to hear music, and love it. We got pretty silly. ( not as silly, mind you, as Malena and I, but we two are in a league of our own, as you will see at Baltic Con ) Speaking of Malena, I did so wish she had been there too, really that was all the band lacked, her magic magic voice. ( and silliness )

We still need a name, for the two of us tho. Ideas? I suggested " The Wee Folk " as it is part Folk Underground, and Wee can mean Smaller, and we are a WE the two of us. Mr Score was not, uh, impressed. He likes LIM ( live Irish music ) which might be cool, as it is kind of like LaM.

Inspired by the lot of you, I have dug up a copy of The Golden Compass ( my Boss had one, figures ) and am going to embark on His Dark Materials. ( did I get that right?? )

Now I am off to walk thru the woods looking for Misty the Wonder Cat who failed to come home last night. Most likely she is eating steak by someone's fire just now, and is fine, but I miss the little thing.

Music and Magic,
Lorraine

11 Comments:

At 11:15 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

".... I have dug up a copy of The Golden Compass....and am going to embark on His Dark Materials. "
Ok, Lorraine, this sounds too good to miss out on!!!

And Beezee, Lorraine illuminates everything around her. She "lights up my life"

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger vandaluna said...

Oh, I'm so glad you found the kitty kitty!

The picture you posted is lovely, you both seem so happy.

And I figgered yo boss man would have a copy of HDM. I really hope you enjoy it! Can't wait to hear!!

vanda

 
At 10:09 AM , Blogger Rubius said...

I am so glad that you both will get the chance to read the Golden Compass (and hopefully the rest of the series if you like it as much as I did). I agree with Vandaluna, it figures that your boss would have a copy (I attemded one of Mr Gaiman's readings this year and he mentioned that he reacted like a "fanboy" when Pullman showed up at a signing once - that warms my heart!)

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger Gretchen said...

A suggestion for the name of your dynamic duo...in the fine tradition of Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, and Martz & Menton, how about Garland & Score?

Unless of course, you fear there may be a concern that the person whose name is listed first will be viewed as the "leader" of the band ;)

 
At 11:15 AM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Or, you could go with Gore.....
::running and ducking for cover::

Would another name for the Celtic bazouki perhaps be mandola? Cedric of Bedlam Bards has a mandola he picked up at a pawn shop.

(Note: violin - viola, mandolin - mandola)

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Oops. I forgot to add that your new picture looks great, Lorraine!

And not to worry, you and Malena aren't the only people here who haven't read His Dark Materials. I haven't either. Well, at least not yet.

 
At 2:36 PM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Glad you found Misty, tho hope you got a nice walk in anyway. Now I know what a Bouzouki is (and how to spell it too!), yes this is a learning experience here! I like Beez's idea for your duo name - LIMN, and does go well with LaM. Enjoy Golden Compass! My favorite book of the series, really engaging, tho the other two are great as well. Have fun!

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

I personally think FOLK UNDERGROUND is a really really cool name. You can't beat it. It's like THE FLASH GIRLS. It has a ring to it. How about "The Bouzouki Band" or "The Bouzouki Brothers"Except you are a girl Lorraine, so that won't work. Kidding...
You'll have to come up with something just as cool as your other band names, which is a tall order if you ask me. You're so inventive though, I'm sure it will be a cinch!

 
At 8:06 AM , Blogger Jodyth said...

You made an excellent reading choice, Lorraine. His Dark Materials really tweaks Christian fundamentalists and the books have (literally) been burned in New Mexico. I often celebrate this series during Banned Book Week, when libraries highlight books in displays that other people want us to remove from our shelves. Perhaps being labeled a Radical Militant Librarian by the Bush administration isn't that far off the mark.

Your librarian,
Jody

 
At 9:44 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

Three Cheers for Radical Militant Librarians!!

I fancy that i might like to be one someday!

 
At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home