Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Cold, Cats and Friends

When I woke up early this morning to take Small Girl to school, it was 14 degrees below zero. That, for those of you who live anywhere but here and don't know, is really really cold. It is so cold it doesn't feel cold. For those of you in LA , where it will hit 80 today, that is 94 degrees COLDER than you.

I am really really glad that I am going to LA on Friday. I mean, I was glad before , but the stakes just went a little higher. ( Note to Corset Girl: may not be leaving after all )

I had so much fun getting to hang out with Kelli and Lisa this weekend. I have known Kelli since she was in college and she is truly one of the Slinkyest people I have ever known. Like water. Or Sky. She is at www.kellibickman.net

Lisa Snellings, besides being one of my favourite artists going, has one of the wickest senses of humour going. Evil sisters incarnate we were. I haven't laughed so much in ages, ( or eaten that much chocolate, Dreamhaven is evil too ) it's been a while since we got to spend any time together and just hang out, and I think we will have to make it a regular thing. I wore my spider apron and cooked for her. She has promised to make me something dead. True friends I am thinking.

Sorry, Ravyn, about the lack of pictures, tho I see Lisa has posted a couple on her site, by the time we remembered it was 6 AM and we were going to the airport. Noone needs to see what that looked like.

And now this...

Every so often one of my cats goes a bit strange. ( read: REALLY strange ) She sees somthing in toliet paper that the rest of us miss. She sees it is evil, haunted, fey and without a doubt , after us. She sees it as prey. She will save us from it. I never actually see her doing this, nor do I know what sets her off, but every so often I will wake up, and there, from end to end of the house, are bits of the toilet paper, shredded, dead, and rendered harmless. A sleeping white cat in the hallway....

One never knows in this world, ( remember the Price story?? ) and I guess I am just glad that my Kitty is watching out.

Love and Cold, Lorraine

12 Comments:

At 11:36 AM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Every time I need to feel better about our weather I take a peek at yours (sorry!) but this upcoming weeks looks distubingly similar. At this rate I may not leave the house 'til March.

Assuming you wore something a bit more weather-appropriate than your robe and slippers to drive Lisa to the airport? I laughed at Neil's blog entry. My mom used to do that, and I too was mortified.

Dreamhaven IS evil, in the very best of ways and I wish I could've been up there. Stupid weather. :P Have much, much fun in LA!

 
At 11:37 AM , Blogger ravyn said...

no worries, i know it can be hard to remember to take pictures when you're on such a short visit. When i went out to her place last March, i was there for almost 5 days so i had plenty of time for photos :-)

i just thought it would be cool to have a couple of you guys together.

i will make sure we have lots of cool photos taken at Balticon!!!!

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

It's posts like this that remind me how big a wuss I am at cold weather. There's a reason I live in San Francisco - no seasons.

And I think all cats become possessed from time to time. I saw my beastie decide, out of the blue, that the toilet paper was the spawn of Satan once. I was laughing so hard I couldn't scold her to stop for over a minute.

Good times, good times. :)

 
At 1:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Augh! That really is cold weather...and to think, with the dawn Masses for Christmas due to start on December 16th (nine days of going to church at five in the morning!), we Fiipinos are grumbling about the cold cold 84-degrees Farenheit weather!

(Whilst the tourists stroll around in shorts and tank tops, we residents are bundled up in jogging pants and sweatshirts of a morning, now...)

As for the toilet paper -- recently four of my kittens decided to conduct a violent exorcism upon a half-used roll in my bathroom. The roll was bashed from pillar to post until it was deemed sufficiently chastised by all.

So glad to hear good times have been reigning at your end of the world!

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Atually, I , um, was in my jammies, with a coat over them of course....

Lorraine!! I swear, you northerners are a crazy lot. I was up there in December once (blame Snoopy) and thought the t-shirt'd people strolling in -7 weather from car to mall were crazed.

Did Lisa make you let her off away from her drop point? ;-)

84 cold? I need to move to the Phillippines!

 
At 2:45 PM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

speaking of crazy cats,
is cheese a vegetable? or maybe a fruit?
just hoping so. if not, oop.

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Yes, toilet paper is evil incarnate, deemed worthy for use only after my corgi has bitten thru every roll in the pantry, to ensure that NONE of them will roll ever again!
And I spoke to soon, its cold here too, not as cold as you guys, but really cold for our area. and its still snowing...it will never stop..I would kill for a cool 84 degrees, the Phillipines sound wonderful!
Oh yeah, cheese is always a veggie! a healthy one to boot!

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Appleblossombeck: just hop over a couple of states (Indiana) and you can have all the flat snowy woods you'd like. We have a woods and creek nearly identical to that photo just down the road (sans black-clad gentleman in scary sunglasses), and it's supposed to snow "several inches" Thursday. This means tomorrow people will descend upon the grocery stores like locusts and pick the shelves bare.

My dog never had an interest in toilet paper, but he was fascinated by wallpaper... especiallly while ripping long pieces of it off along the baseboards. He's also fond of tearing newspapers and looooves to open wrapped packages. Aren't pets great? :-D

 
At 4:06 AM , Blogger K said...

Ooooh that's cold. The coldest it's going to be here today is 35 degrees F (or 2 degrees C). I am sitting here thinking "I want snow" and then thinking that if it came more than two days a year, I probably wouldn't.

You guys have a lot of patience regarding hair extensions. I wouldn't be able to sit still for three hours, let alone 18. How do you comb your hair with extensions in, anyway? I've often wondered.

 
At 7:47 AM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

K_
you can't brush braids. Lorraine brushes her hair though.
I guess I'm spoiled, sitting here in LA at 50 degrees. It's probably not that cold, but it feels like it. I wore a coat yesterday for the first time. Wehooooooooo boot weather.

As for TP, my dogs love it too. They will eat anything...anything. Don't ask just use your imagination. Eww!

I wear my robe and slippers to take ANeeka to school. I always hope I do'nt run out of gas. he hee. They'd think I was a druggie or something. But, today I am dressed. Tired, but dressed.

 
At 3:02 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

That nice little arctic front finally reached Central Texas this morning. Granted, we don't really get snow, we get freezing rain and sleet. On the other hand, we really need the wet stuff as we're an average of 7" below normal on rainfall. Could do with the gusty winds, though. And to think, it was 87 on Saturday.
Texas: don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes, it'll change.

 
At 3:04 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

::sigh:: That should be "_without_ the gusty winds."

Hope you get to go to LA. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home