Thursday, July 10, 2008

Storms All Over Dog School

Very exciting storms here today. All the truly exciting storms MISSED us by a county, which did not make Weather Girl happy, but we had enough so there was some fun watching the radar.

When it got time to go to Dog School Agility Class (Boot Camp for Out of Shape Owners!) there were some more storms popping up. The severe alert came out over the radio, saying Severe Storm! Take Cover! Some towns include Town X! Not our town, but on slightly North of us. We had a quick look at the radar, Boss and I, and figured out it most likely would not be hitting us, and this thing was growing fast, but Town X was going to get nailed.

Dog school is 5 miles from Town X. But what the heck, nothing ventured, no adventures to blog about I say.

Cabal and I nipped out there, it's in the middle of a chunk of farmland so you can see for miles, and sure enough, there it was. Trainer Lady and I decided we would go for it, and take shelter as needed. Two other people showed up, and, one eye on the storms (oh, yes, another was popping up just south, and a third kind of west and don't forget our darling to the North) LOTS of cloud to ground lightning, lots of thunder, but no rain, it was like a pocket of calm there at Dog School.

Until I looked at the Lady next to me, and her HAIR was standing on END! I have heard of this things before. I had heard it means you are about to be hit by lightning. I mentioned this hair phenomenon, to the Lady (while moving away from her) saying "WOW YOUR HAIR IS STANDING ON END!"

Another Dog Devotee told me it didn't mean you were about to be struck, it just meant the potential was there. Oh Good. Because we noticed EVERY ONES hair was standing on end.

Well, it wasn't raining, so we continued. (Note to children and non-Midwesterners: If you are ever outside and this happens, get the heck indoors! This is Very Bad and Dangerous!)

I suppose this blog would be more exciting if we HAD got hit, but there you have it. Wish I had had a camera, those were some really funky clouds.

Tomorrow the Mighty Kimbo comes to town. I'll pick her up at the airport, and we will go to my show. Three gig weekend, which is a nice Ace in the Bill Roulette game, but a little hard on the self. Whole lot of energy going out. Tho it comes in too, I sometimes forget. We record again on Saturday. Sunday it's the Biker Bar.

(Bikers on Sunday seems a whole lot happier than Church People do, which is something to think about, sitting outside, listening to music, riding your bike seems a far better way to feel good and close to Fod than telling it how horrible you are, in my personal opinion)

It's funny, she says, tying both storms and Fod together, this is the song that was going on in my head the entire time we were foolishly hanging out in a field with severe lightning storms all around us...Funny old world. I think I will sing it tomorrow, in honor of, well, everything.

Does God look down on the boys in the barroom,
Mainly forsaken but surely not judged.
Jacks, kings, and aces, their faces in wine,
Do lord deliver our kind.
From singing for whiskey three strings on the fiddle,
Four on the guitar and a song that I love.
Many’s the night we spent picking and singing,
In hopes it be pleasing both here and above.
Jack’s string fiddle to my sawtooth bow,
Who loves loneliness loves it alone.
I love the dim lights like some love the dew,
Only thing I wonder sometimes:
Does God look down on the boys in the barroom,
Mainly forsaken but surely not judged.
Jacks, kings, and aces, their faces in wine,
Do lord deliver our kind.

Love and life,
Lorraine

21 Comments:

At 10:30 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Nice song. I am sure it would go down nicely at the bikers' fest.
Bikes can drive you also directly in the arms of Fod if you aren't careful (I shall confess of being terrified of the blooming things).

Creepy stormy hair - yet it must have been a sight.
Wasn't Dog affected by the electricity in the air?

 
At 11:26 PM , Blogger Dread Val said...

Those do sound like exciting storms, with lightning, and clouds... like I suppose real storms have. Man, I want to see real storms where hair stands on end! We had another boring day of boring sunny weather here in LA. Early marine layer haze, burning off in the morning because it got bored and left, revealing the extremely bored sun which sighed and said it would suppose it should shine on the Getty across from my office as scheduled... very boring. I grew up during the drought and water rationing here, and so rain and storms and thunder are magical novelties to me. Sun is boring, dude.

Have fun with the Mighty Kimbo! The song seems perfect for singing to bikers. (Who are probably happier than last Sunday's crowd, I bet...)

 
At 4:51 AM , Blogger Phiala said...

Wow! Very exciting! There would have been no point in me going - my dog is terrified of storms and would have found the nearest bed to hide under, even if it were in someone else's house. Never mind that he's 100lb and doesn't fit under the bed - he would make a great effort.

Apparently the dog rolled in wet fireworks in the park last night, and returned smelling vilely of gunpowder. Having rolled in it, Grendel then decided he didn't like the smell any more and tried to wipe it off all over the house. Nick did try to clean him up some, he tells me, but now my living room smells like I've been making munitions. Good thing my travel gear is packed away in the closet, or I might never be allowed to fly again.

There is definitely a dog-bathing session in the plan for the day!

 
At 5:39 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Cool song Lorraine, and perfect for the biker's fest. We again received your gift of storms but no hair on end - wow, that would make me run inside, scary, and now we are saying Enough to Rain, the dampness is causing the mosquitos to take over. I will trade you rain for sunny weather for Saturday-a lovely young couple we know are getting married. How's this for a bachelor party - my husband drove our tractor with a hay wagon (no hay but a beer cooler) with all the partygoers to a local bar - whootin and hollerin all the way. he's still snoring away now, his comment at 2 a.m. was that he was too old for this, haha. Hey, the groom is also an author - wrote "Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine" - very funny. His bride to be is his publicist - they are a fun and interesting couple, and may Fod bless them!

 
At 8:52 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

It was weird, the dogs weren't effected at all, and Cabel is REALLY afraid of thunder, but he just kept doing his agility and didn't seem to mind.

Phaila, you have a dog named Grendal? How cool is that????

Rain and storms are so cool, they make me happy.

Fun party Sue! I could use one, tho I suppose gigs three nights in a row might well count...

 
At 9:23 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

How come the blog has changed name?

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Rubius said...

It is a great song.

See I would think that the hair standing up thing would be pretty freaky. I also love weather watching. Have you heard of the supposedly new tourism idea 'storm watching' ... it is particularly good on the west coast of Vancouver Island where the Pacific storms rage into land with the fury of all the elements.... and winter is the high season for that.

and how come the links have changed? the link to Malena's blog is gone.

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger gaypet said...

I think the storms are fun but they also scare me. When the sirens go off and the sky turns green, then black (in the middle of the afternoon) and we have to go downstairs (my son, 3 dogs, 3 cats and myself) I get that same feeling I used to get as a kid in CA when we would have an earthquake. I love to watch the AMAZING clouds and the lightning but I wouldn't mind if the sky could stay sky colors. Not so much green!

 
At 9:57 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

It's no big deal, Malena doesn't have time to blog over here, and wants to keep her name and image separate, Hollywood is weird. It's the same blog as it ever was, not to worry.

Big storms are cool. Earthquakes scare me, with a big storm, you know it's coming and you have a lot of warning, with earthquakes, you don't.

 
At 9:57 AM , Blogger Phiala said...

Oh yes, green skies are disturbing, but it's only really bad when they start swirling...

Grendel would rather be outside with his people than inside during a storm, but they still bother him a lot. Of course, he's a hundred-pound wimpy wolf!

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Earthquakes are scarry.

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger EmilyLady said...

If Town X was going to get nailed here in Rhode Island, the towns beside it, below it, and above it would all get nailed as well.

Your lyrics are lovely, Lorraine!

~Emily

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

What a beautiful wolf! I have always kind of wanted one, sometimes I pretend Cabel is one.

Swirling Green CLouds are definitely Scary!

I am getting kind of excited about the gig tonight, Kimberly is going to take pictures, LOTS of pictures of Paul and I for the new cd. And taking pictures is one of her best tricks.

I'm going to make her take some of the Bengals too, so we have them. All I seem to get what I try, is tails running of in a corner. It's like cats won't POSE...

 
At 11:28 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

They've got better things to do.
And besides you are not paying enough for them to model.

 
At 11:39 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Oh so THAT'S the problem. Yu got great pics of them tho, I guess they are snobs and will only work with Cool French photographers....

Glad you liked the lyrics, I should be clear tho, I didn't write them. Not sure who did, the Grateful Dead you to do it a capella, but not sure who wrote it...

(Quick Google says Robert Hunter, which would make sense)

Anyway, it's a cool song for a pub.

 
At 4:47 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

I hope you have a great time with Kim this weekend.

Rock them bikers!!!

We had lightening the other day... far away but still breathtaking.

I always worry about using technology in a lightening storm... lightening needs something to ground it and while it is attracted to things that are high up... trees, poles, people on plains (you are higher than the grass)... I understand it actually goes up from the ground before it comes down... so adding in the electronic field of any tech device to your own human energy field seems kinda risky in a storm... at least to me. Scariest are the stories of people wearing ipods in storms.... BAD damage is caused when your ipod gets hit.

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger gaypet said...

Well, more storms are coming and all I have to say is that if the power goes out during Dr. Who then Fod is going to have to answer to me!

 
At 6:06 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

oh... and while we are on the topic of lightening... my friend just gave me a piece of fulgurite... lightening glass.

so cool

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Storms sure as heck did come! Full story tomorrow!! VERY exciting!

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Busy trying to construct a pocket dimension outside of the time-stream so that I can catch up on my sleep.

 
At 6:00 AM , Blogger K said...

Glad you didn't get struck by lightning. I would actually be quite excited if my hair stood on end - probably wrongly. I love storms but they don't happen very often here.

When I was 14, my classmates in Physics nominated me to be hooked up to a Van de Graaf generator, because I had the longest hair in the class (waistlength) and they thought it would look cool standing on end. Unfortunately it was too heavy for the static to lift, so only my growing-out bangs stood up. I still had an eight-inch-high hair halo.

I wish now that there were photos of this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home