Not what I had planned to talk about tonight, but this sort of thing, thankfully, doesn't happen often...
I was cutting up some semi frozen beef today, I had tried the electric knife, which was useless, didn't make a dent, and so went for the Big Knives. Very sharp, the Big Knives. Cut thru anything.
(before you start worrying, and cutting to the end of this story, yes, I still have all my fingers)
I was halfway thru, when there was a BANG and a FLASH and the smell of gunpowder, like fireworks!
THIS has never happened before!
I mean, Exploding Meat???? This can't happen. But it did. Took two small bits of the, very expensive Chef Knife. I got out of there, I mean, what was it going to do next, for an encore?
I searched the Internet, looking for every variation on Exploding Meat. I called Malena to see if this was some sort of Angry Spirit problem we needed to take care of. I asked the Dog who thought that it was fine and said that he was more than willing to take the bullet (as it well might have been) and try some.
Ok, I thought. I must go Back To The Meat. There must be answers.
Unfortunately, for me, there in fact WAS an answer.
Apparently, when you put the meat on the cutting board, and unwrap it, leaving the Meat Paper to cut on, if you have SOMEHOW run the oh-so-very-still-plugged-in electric knife's CORD under the paper, it IS possible, if you have a Very Sharp Knife, to cut thru the meat AND the cord.
Which being plugged in makes for a heck of an explosion. And tho it will not kill you, good safety tip here...Don't try this at home.
Or you will have to buy your Boss, in all fairness, a new electric knife and a new Very Expensive Japanese Big Knife.
Love and Exploding Meat,