Saturday, May 03, 2008

Teves' Grand Central Station

When I was a teenager, my Mom would answer the phone and say, "Grand Central Station?" when my friends would call all day and all night. Well, the TEVES house is always Grand Central Station. Due to the constant traffic, I've learned over the years to be "red carpet fabulous" in a matter of minutes. (Thank goodness for my Orchestra bus training of putting my makeup on in the dark!)


Miles often walks in the door and says, "So and so from the _____ production is coming over with so and so and they will be here in an hour." (Here's where the fear and the dread come in...) A few years back I would have needed that much time JUST for MAKEUP. See, this was me in the morning. Do you see the look of FEAR?


















When I met Miles I didn't OWN a pair of actual athletic shoes. (The rhinestone encrusted rocketdogs didn't count he said!) I would run around trying to look my best and have the house just so.




I still try to have the house looking nice, but I never thought I'd answer the door in workout pants, a sweaty tank top and a skinned elbow and say,


"Dude! What's up! Come on in!" joking.. I joking. I only talk that way SOMETIMES!


I don't care anymore if people see me without my makeup. I let that go a few years back when a well known makeup artist complimented me on how well I covered up a flaw. (Obviously, not well enough!) I have been Hollywood-ized, but in a good way.



Hollywood makes you get into shape for one. If you are an actress, your body IS your business... so even Fag Hags like me have to work out. And with my "all or nothing" point of view, I chose swimming, hiking and KICKboxing, hence the skinned elbow. (Miss Congeniality FBI Fantasies again). BTW, go see IRONMAN! More on that later...
















(Here's me in my CSI gear)


Hollywood also teaches you to speak fast on your feet. If a camera is in your face, you'd better be funny AND sexy AND smart. Which is where Miss Fabulous Lorraine comes in. This WOMAN can make anything funny. She can get a room laughing and clapping with just a mic, no instrument or sexual hook needed. Trollops in LA can't even fathom that one! She has been my BFF and PR mentor for the last 4 years. Yeah, I can sing, act and be sexy...even funny if I know you...but Fablo can do it anytime, anywhere. I am so lucky to have such an educated NUT as a friend. When you see me crack a joke on stage or on the blog, it's probably thanks to Dev, that is...unless it's explicit and rank, then it's mine. Look at who I live with! Lorraine lives a very busy life as well and she does it with such class. No one ever dies or gets poisoned or disappears and comes back with one less toe. Yes, I still have a lot to learn from the Dev.



Anyway, thanks for making this Blog so fun and lively Lorraine!

Love ya Deva!


The absent, busy Madame Malena Mim

18 Comments:

At 8:16 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Yeah! Malena is back! I know it is so hard when working in Hollweird to get time for anything, but, Div, we miss you here and are glad you are around!

Thanks for the nice words too! I am funny at times, I must admit...

On a more somber note, The Birdchick just called, and it seems Cabel the Dog got a hold of an entire COOKED chiicken , and ate it. Cooked chicken bones are very bad for dogs, we have a call into the vet and are all over the internet...

I will keep you updated.....

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Ms. Marvelous, even in the first picture your expression is more, "You want What, dear?"

When our telephone would ring, my father would often say, "County Mule Barn. Jackass braying," without answering the phone. And that was before answering machines and caller id, and he was a real estate broker. He would also show up with company early in the morning, without calling first to let Mom know so she would have to throw clothes on. No makeup wasn't a problem, being still in her nightgown was. Consequently, I seldom get up for the day without getting dressed before breakfast.

Ms. Fabulous, I certainly hope Cabell is okay. Govan once ate a squirrel, tail and all, but the squirrel was raw. He also ate a large stick of jewelers' emery, and ended up okay.

 
At 9:37 PM , Blogger Malena said...

Lorraine saved me from choking on a grape once. She also saved me from drowning and from a kissing tourist. (I could go on...)

So Cabel the 'white knight wonder dog' couldn't be in better hands.

That white dress was a reference shot for the Gregory Maguire "Kindermarchen" music video directed by Kimberly Butler. BTW, did you know Fabulous Lorraine was the Executive Producer? She didn't tell you that huh?! So humble, that one.

See, I just sing and shake my wide behind...

 
At 10:21 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

Hello, White Goddess! Love your white satin dress! By the way, how tall are you in those high heels?

 
At 12:15 AM , Blogger kali_licious said...

I have to concur with ariandalen about the white dress picture, Malena. You look more like "Hmmm?" than scared. And I LOVE the rhinestones on those shoes.:)

Poor Cabal. I hope he's ok. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he has one of those iron constitutions.

 
At 12:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doh..I seem to have a split personality today;)

 
At 1:15 AM , Blogger Malena said...

The white shoes are NOT actual "Malena" heels, those are bed slippers. They are only 2 1/2 inches. I prefer 6 inch pumps or higher like the boots in the photo. They are 7 inches and PLATFORM! Comfy to walk in believe it or not.
I figure, why NOT be an Amazon. Well, half anyway since I still have both breasts.

And I agree, fear doesn't suit me. But I never thought the white shots were sexy. I felt very naked and dorky, like "Just take the damn shot and let me get my clothes on!" I held my gut in forever! heehee

 
At 5:55 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

6 inches?!? i know i would break my butt if i tried to walk in something like that - no balance or coordination here! the rhinestone shoes are great- and it is nice to read a post by you Malena!

Hope Cabal is ok! That's not the way to add excitement to a saturday night!

 
At 7:26 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Malena, I think you look hot in the white dress. And in the jeans. And in sweatpants. And in a mu-mu. Yr just hot, face it.

Cabal seems to have taken no ill from his naughty behaviour. Raw bones are fine, it is just cooked that are bad. He is going to get hamburgher and rice today, and we need to watch his poop.

Love my job.

 
At 11:56 AM , Blogger EmilyLady said...

I have never had that much patience for makeup, because I always know it's there. It's presence is prominent. Even lip gloss starts to irritate me after a while. It's so much fun to put on and not much fun to keep on. Although I started to like it a lot more than I ever had upon reading Bobbi Brown's book Teenage Beauty.

I walk to keep in shape. Walking lets you imagine and enjoy and exercise all at once. I need variety while I'm exercising.

I hope Cabal's okay. From what I hear he's pretty resilient!

~Emily

 
At 1:29 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I can't do make up either, for a concert or shoot, yeah but not for everyday. Malena taught me everything I know about it.

Cabal seeems just fine today, I made him the ground beef and rice and he ate it like he had never been fed.

Tomorrow I go and get the TWO foster Bengals! Hopefully I can take care of them and find them homes.......

Find them homes......

Nice homes. Nice freaky kitties.

Nice freaky kitties need nice homes......

(am I being too subtle, she wonders...???)

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger EmilyLady said...

I am wondering what you mean by "freaky" ...

~Emily

 
At 2:16 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Well, Bengals are SUPER smart, and they will do things domestic cats won't. Or rather, they do what domestic cats do but they do it MORE. Extreme Kitties,

They leap higher, run faster, get into things more and let you know what they want and when they want it, they talk constantly.

They look like little leopords, and you definately KNOW what they are bred from, it's there.

They will never be completely tame, but they will love you, if you have the time for this breed, they will make you happier than almost anything.

 
At 7:04 PM , Blogger Malena said...

I agree with you Emily
"It's so much fun to put on and not much fun to keep on." I am also a big fan of Bobbie Brown's Teenage makeup book. That is where I learned to do the makeup for the Kimberly Butler Shoot.

Tree Fairy Malena

 
At 11:28 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

How sweet... And you are looking great, as usual.

Glad to read that Cabal the Gluttonous is doing fine after his excess.

 
At 5:02 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I really like the CSI look, Malena. I also *adore* the pics of you un-gothed on your site.

Glad to hear that Cabal is okay. I hope he passes everything without incident. *shudder* What a job you have, Lorraine. ^_^

 
At 8:38 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Now I am off to get my Foster Kitties! It's pretty far away....And a lovely day for a drive.

 
At 8:44 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Pictures?
:)
Good luck with the kitties.
How are the news on the Cabal/Zoe friendship? At least SHE wasn't what he tried to swallow...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home