Sunday, May 18, 2008

Post Mostly For The Birdchick....

Leaving, for the moment, the Transcribing that has become my world, and Miss Kitty's for that matter, as I have no intention of suffering alone, let's move onto Bees...

(We are transcribing a 2 hour 10 minute interview between Someone who may be our Boss and Someone Else. Very interesting indeed, but the sound quality of the recording is Very Bad. Makes for slow going. I'd say more, but we Assistants are not a chatty bunch some days)

Right. Bees. That I can chat about. The Birdchick is away today, off doing Bird Things, so Boss and I were sent a list of Hive Things that needed to be done. I like, generally to do the Colour Commentary, and leave the step by step to The Birdchick, but since she was not here today, I am going to try and write as her and Tell All.

I feel, sadly, as tho my venture into this, the being of the Birdchick, is a venture not entirely certain to succeed, in fact it may well, not, and perhaps we could go as far to say, no it will not succeed in coming up to her standards, as I have no camera, or any way of displaying the images that no doubt ought to go along with said record.

(ok, ok, so I have been reading a little too much Steve Brust's Phoenix Guards, and 500 Years after lately, why use four words, when you can say it in a hundred? I'll stop, but they are well worth re-reading even if one does tend to get a little wordy, great fun.)

Our first task was to check and see if Queen Kitty had gotten out of her Queen Container and was inside the hive laying brood. When you divide a hive, as opposed to getting a box of bees for a new hive, where the Queen is in her box with the bees and they all dig each other, you have to let the bees you have taken from the old hive get used to the new Queen. She is in a plastic container with holes, that is plugged with hard sugar. The bees eat the sugar and she comes out , and they are friends.

If they are not friends, they kill her.

She had not been eaten out yet, tho nearly. (You stick the container with Queen onto a frame with comb on it.) I wonder if it was because she was on a frame near the edge of the box? There were not many bees near her, tending and eating. We moved her more into the middle, so hopefully more bees will get her scent, and eat her out.

We did notice there seemed to be a new Queen cell, which is a baby Queen. Not sure what this means. You can tell, because they are much bigger. (I did not notice, but Boss knows a LOT about Bees.)

We checked the Olga Hive, which I like to call in technical bee terms, the " We got some honey going ON hive" All well there. We took out her Sugar water bucket, as she does not need it. Obviously.

Going down to the Bickman and Mimiko hives, we found that all seemed well in the Bickman Hive, very active.

On the Mimko hive, we were to add a brood box if they had filled up 7 frames with comb. She had, so we took one frame, with no brood in it (confuses the nurse bees) and put it in the new box, to encourage them to go up there and do bee things. We gave her a new sugar water bucket. She was making a little Funky Comb, on top of the frames, which we scraped off.

We also set out carpet tack boards around the hives. They are slats of wood with nails sticking up. Discourages the heck out of skunks.

There you have it. The Birdchick will, one hopes, be home soon, and can get back to doing her own Bee Reports, and I can get back to saying things like: WOW, how cool, I was totally Covered in Bees!!!!!!!!

Love and Bees, (but not transcribing) Lorraine

20 Comments:

At 7:19 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

I think you did an admirable job. I am sure that it is debatable whether Ms. Birdchick could do your job as well for a comparable amount of time. ;)

There's an idea! Get her in on the transcribing, too! Surely she can be sworn to secrecy.

Well. It was a thought. ;)

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger EmilyLady said...

"If they are not friends, they kill her."

Goodness, here I was thinking it was rough being a teenager when I should really have just been glad not to be a bee.

~Emily

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

If I had my way ALL of you would get 10 minutes. Surely you have 4 hours to spare me?????

It's not really secret or anything, my policy is tho, I mention nothing until Boss does. Keeps me out of trouble it does.

Ms Birdchick just might be someone who COULD do my job. She is pretty wonderful.

 
At 7:29 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Emily, if you are bee, your best bet is worker, Queens and drones have it pretty harsh.

On being a teenager, this too will pass. You seem pretty together to me. Keep at it, we are glad you are here and if we can help, ask away! We DO remember.....

 
At 7:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...so hopefully more bees will get her scent, and eat her out."

Er.

Now THAT is a way to make friends.


Moving on... Emily -- Lorraine's right, we all do remember what it was like. At least, I sure do. I think that middle-school-aged girls are the cruelest creatures on the planet. Why we don't use them in our Special Forces as agents of destruction, I'll never know.

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

ahh the bee world. mean and beautiful, like a death star.
thanks for tending to the Queen and i hope that they have their candy party and welcome her.
because getting killed might be a bummer.

 
At 4:44 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Skunks like bees? Or just honey?

 
At 4:55 AM , Blogger LauraJ said...

Sympathy about the Brust effect (also a problem with Jane Austen) but you do great bees. Petition Himself to get you a camera. What, he can't look after his PA and give her the ability for blog images? Or is he scared you will catch him in bunny slippers (nah. he is too fine to worry about that)? Anyway, much love to you and cats ptc jungle loves.

 
At 6:45 AM , Blogger ariandalen said...

I'm not sure any transcription I did would be of much use, since I have a whiny six year old and a four year old who likes to push her limits right to the edge to contend with. Add a big week long lack of sleep on top of that. Let's just say that yesterday (Sunday) was not a fun day in my house. ::sigh::

It seems to me that it may not be a secret in fact, but it is a secret in essence. ;)

And, Welcome, LauraJ! I see we have a few things in common, such as spinning and weaving. That is, in addition to the obvious interests. :)

 
At 6:56 AM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

We will see what happens with Queen Kitty. I'll keep you posted...I think skunks like both Bees AND honey, little fiends.

Adridalen, oh, sounds like a whole lot of no fun at your place, hope today is better adn you get some sleep!

Lauraj, welcome and nice to meet you! I have a camera, it's the charger that is the problem, I lost it. Actually, I might have left it at Malenas. (Div, if I did, THAT is the weird thing you can't figure out in your kitchen)

Had a note from Mr Brust this morning, cackling at my Brust sentence. I have never been able to read Jane Austen, and I suspect I would love her. Where, how do I start? Spacelaw was helping while she was here, and I suspect I could ask Mr Millar for advice but any thoughts out there?

I am feeling like I need to explore this....

 
At 7:04 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

There's that alternate identity again, she says ominiously....

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger EmilyLady said...

Lorraine, thank you for the very kind offer!

Pantagruel, I agree with you. Eleven and twelve were horrible years for me, although I was fortunate in that I was home-schooled and thus not subjected to certain tortures. But I think I was less pleasant to be around at eleven and twelve (especially eleven) than I have been (so far) as a teenager!

~Emily

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

This just in Via Sharon, who has been hearing from Bee People this morning regarding my Bee Report...

The fact that there is a New Queen Cell and that the workers are ignoring the Queen in her container means that the Workers have given up on trying to chew thru the sugar to release her.

We must get the Queen out immediately!!

Never thought I would say this, but...

"I'm off to save the Queen"

 
At 8:55 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I kind of wondered if that was the case. Eep.

Can the queen be re-introduced to the hive?

Slacker worker bees...

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

WTF is up with my Queen alter-ego? am i possessing a death wish?
and lil' Quichey, thank you for saving her, i hope it isn't too late.

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

All went well! The Queen is safe and in her hive! Full story tonight.

Transcribing. Sigh. Kitty I hope you are faster than me....

 
At 3:15 PM , Blogger ivenotime said...

yey on saving Queen Kitty! long may she live and prosper! welcome to LauraJ, its been many years since i have woven anything, but someday hope to get back to it, and i was the worlds worst spinner - that's a remarkable skill! Emilylady, you seem like a lovely teen, quite partial to teens myself as I have one left who incidently turned 18 today and is graduating hs and twins who've left the teen years (and survived) and are turning 21 next month. it passes all too swiftly, and i will miss those years when i was a more active part of their life. arian, hope things are going a bit better, and you get some well deserved rest. and lorraine, hope transcribing goes well, sounds difficult.

 
At 3:23 PM , Blogger AletaMay said...

These bee adventures are so so interesting! Thanks so much for sharing them here. Can't wait to hear the latest about Queen Kitty.

Do you use any sort of technical transcription aides? I hope so. Your policy of taking your cues about talking about projects from you Boss seems wise. It seems like it would be easy to slip up with out such a clear standard.

Emily, the harshness of the world of bees is ongoing -- your teen years will pass!

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

God save the Queen!

 
At 8:47 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

You and your camera...
If I am remembering correctly, the baby queen will be killed by the new adult queen (if she gets accepted by the hive). Life is hars at the hives.

Pride and Prejudice. Read it five times, which makes it my favourite English book (even before Good Omens).
Or Sense and Sensibility (only 3 times - I am less in tune with the heroine).
Ask Martin. Or your boss (surely he must have read some of them, at least at school).

Sadly I can't offer help with transcribing as I have some to do as well (the problem of writing stories in a notebook instead of directly on the computer).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home