Friday, January 04, 2008

New Years Resolutions

I was thinking a lot last night about New Years Resoultions , and things I really want to do. I started out to write a blog, but it turned into more of an essay, and really seem to make some things clear for me..

Here you go....

What Can One Person Do?

I have been thinking a lot this season, about what is important, about the world, about what the heck can I do to make things better. I'm not rich, I'm not known world wide, I have no skills that can save lives. I'm such a dork that I don't know how to make my house look clean and today I found my paychecks and gig checks from the last month and a half piled up on my desk . Oh, and yeah, might want to deposit them and pay the bills.

What can one person do?

I play Irish music. I'm a fiddler. And an entertainer. I don't play the Excel center for 70, 000 people. On New Years Eve I played for maybe 100.

New Years Eve really got me thinking. That gig was so very good. I don't mean US, or even the music. Just what happened. All those people, coming together, forgetting the day to day, forgetting the bad, loving each other, re-connecting, coming together, loving music, and fun , making new friends, going home thinking that life is good.

A small thing making 100 people happy out of all the billions in the world. But that is happening in pubs all over the world. Every single night. 24/7. People leave feeling better . Just better. And happy.

That's one thing a person can do.

I went to our Humane Society today. Broke my heart. They have 135 cats in there. I fell in love with 134 of them. ( ok, I lie, ALL of them. ) I could have taken any of them home and loved them forever. I just made arrangements to adopt a Bengal cat. A second. I thought " What am I doing? For what this Bengal costs, I could have 20 of these"

What can one person do?

Well, I want another Bengal. And I make no apologies. But I asked if they had a Wish List and Darned if the didn't. I thought, can I afford a bag of food, a bag of litter, some paper towels and a bottle of bleach, perhaps every week?

Oh yes.

What if everyone brought in a Thing or two every week? Or even once a month. A couple things. Or even once. One thing.What if everyone told a friend , every week, hey, can you buy a bag of litter for the shelter. And then they told a friend. And so on.....So simple, so easy. That might make a difference.

That's one thing a person can do.

I can't save the world, but I can make small parts of it better.

What can one person do?

What if everyone did one small thing, whatever it might be, a bag of food to the Pantry, the Humane Society, a friend in need, smiled at the person ringing up your groceries and asked how their day was going, took a moment to chat with the harried person at the post office, noticed the person on the phone at Customer Service sounded tired and asked " hey you sound tired, long day ? " or took that ( yet another in my case ) snow parking ticket in to pay and instead of growling at the people behind the desk, made light of it and laughed, made them laugh too, and feel good for a moment.......

Just making one thing good for one moment.

That's what one person can do.

And there you have my New Years resolution.

10 Comments:

At 3:55 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

The idea of new year's resolutions implies that there is something about you that needs to be improved but trust me Lorraine you need no improvement. You're talented, beautiful and have a very kind heart!

Your cat swap story with your boss made me laugh. I hope Misty Kitty gets along with the Boss's dog! I think Zoe got the better deal. I know your boss has a kind heart too but I think a cat would be happy in a house full of cats -minus a dog!

And I don't think it's maddness getting another Bengal cat! You know what you like and provide them with a good home!

As for playing music to a 100 compared to a 1,000. Touching people with music whatever the number is pure magic!

You are a bless woman!

Hugs to you and your cats!

 
At 2:23 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:26 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Brilliant resolution. You don't have to save the world (I am convinced it actually does NOT want to be saved) but small things around us can make the place better. It does not have to be big things, sometimes even just listening to someone's trouble is enough.
Playing music and bringing people together by the magic of it all is great, so I hope you shall be able to spread you magical touch some more this year. Give those people one big glowing evening - who nows when they had the last one?

 
At 6:04 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Nicely said, and interesting - I just finished rereading "His Dark Materials" this week (have you read this yet? I remember you saying you were going to start
the first book, "The Golden Compass"), which has some of the same ideas, and an article about paying it forward, and now your essay. It's a great way to start the year - creating a more joyful, caring life for ourselves and others. Wish I couldve been at that gig!

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I wish I had the brain this morning to post about last night. I thought New Years was wonderful, ths was full on Madness! We'll do a post about it over at Paul and Lorraine with pics, but I feel like I sure did my part to fill this New Years Resolution. Made a lot of people happy.

Took a load of things to the Humane Society too yesterday.

Venus and Zoe seem ok together. They are in the same room and hissing doesn't occur until they get really close, both seem happy. Poor Zoe, I feel for this cat, she is SO fat. Hard for her to move.

I'm off to get new hair, and a Kitty, ( as in Cat the person, not a feline ) and play another gig. Hope it is as wonderful as last night...

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Kitty! Pictures!
:)
HAVE FUN.

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

A weekend with your best gal pal Cat! Sounds like great fun! Enjoy your nights of girl talk and knock them dead at your gig tonight!

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Malena said...

I agree with you spacedlaw. MOST of the world does not want to be saved. Living by example is about as good as you can get. People think they want answers but they really just want you to listen and nod.
Fablo makes so many people happy. She amazes me with her bright spirit and her improv stage style. (something I could never do)
Congrads on the baby meow Dev! Next time I see you, you'll have scars to match on both arms. hee hee
We both Do love our fluffies!
XOXO to you all.

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Hmm, Yes, I do need to read those, on the list...

Malena, you are funny, scars indeed. ( Notice how I don't refute what she says, hee-hee )

Bengals are a LOT of cat. I love them. But you do need to know what you are getting into and be willing to work. I just found out how many Bengals are surrendered and need homes, who knew!!!!!

If I had known, I would have adopted one rather than buying the new kitten, may yet once Zoe goes to her new home.

I am applying to become a foster home for Bengals thru the Great Lakes Bengal Rescue accoc. More on this Plan as it develops. I will help some of them.

Making a difference in small ways.

 
At 6:40 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I try to make New Day's resolutions every morning. That way, if I fail, I have at most 23:59:59 until I can start anew.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home