Saturday, June 16, 2007

Vending Machine Gig



Hmmph.

You know some gigs are magic. And some are more like some sort of bizarre reality show challenge. Or an episode of Top Chef ( Season 2, I have no use for seasons 1 or 3. ) If you have ever seen Top Chef, ( and you should even tho my favourite two picks, Elia and Sam got booted out of the final four in Hawaii, my money had been on Ilia all along,as besides being the best Chef, well, she WAS really really hot... )you know that the Chefs had to face some sort of ordeal every week. Sometimes it was, Hey here you go, make us something wonderful with the very best ingredients available and impress us with your magic and skill, we shall applaud.

And sometimes it's" Here is the vending machine. Make us dinner from it" ( actual challenge, kid you not ) You should have seen their faces, it was " What the.....We are artists, we are the creme de la creme of Chefs, what do you mean make something from the vending machine???? "

My personal vending machine challenge tonight?

OK, Irish Bands, it's 90 degrees out, your pub will fill with Baseball Fans who have been drinking for three hours in a most non-air-conditioned stadium, and to make things interesting, let's remind you that drunken de-hydrated baseball fans are NOT generally into any kind of , uh, art. Or capable of paying attention for more than 20 seconds at a time.

Win them over.

Hmmph.

It's one week now until Malena and I go out to New York with Chris to shoot video. I am beyond excited, both to see Malena and Chris again and to get a chance to work on my very first video. Malena is hard at work on her Mermaid Tail, which is going to be something out of this world. I asked her about what she would wear on top and we had a lot of ideas based on the traditional scallop shells ( I suggested TURTLE shells might be more, uh, workable, hee-hee ) but I think it will be lovely.

I am not doing too much, I think I am a street musician ( an acting stretch for me ) and a homeless person ( think Neverwhere ) but there will be ocean and music and lots of cool people, what more could a girl want????

I'll have my new hair too, which is longer, curly and three shades of red.

The Birdchick and I did hive things this week, we put down carpet tacks to keep the skunks away. I am sure she has a blog about it over at Birdchick.com. ( tho I am just as sure she doesn't go into the fact that it was 90 degrees and WAY to hot to wear anything under the Bee Suits, Beekeeper Monthly Centerfolds we were! )

Oh, and my Vending Machine Challenge tonight?

I won.

Love, music and mermaids,
Lorraine

15 Comments:

At 10:43 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

And we will be wanting some pictures of this new hair and the mermaid costume.

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Oh there will be pictures, of my hair anyway. You might have to wait for the video for the mermaid , who ca say???

( well, Malena can say, but it's a bt early in the day for that one to emerge form her crypt...)

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

Lorraine; you're such a darling! Most see your new do! So you've gone curly and I've gone straight, my hair that is! I bet you look beautiful, glad you kept it red!
Mom and I are real big fans of Top Chef! The new season just started and already I'm hooke! Love the past chef challenged in Santa Barabra, mom and I have been at the places they showed! Best of luck with the new project! Love & namaste !

 
At 12:36 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Tonight was less Vending Machine and more like Steak Tar-tar ( as in a RARE performance, GODS I am funny! ) Second set was wild, started out big and stayed that way. That's the way we do it!

Of course there was the very special moment first set break where I out-Klutzed even our Malena ( you all just THINK she is graceful, total klutz, she is)

Caught the shoe in the cord, went OVER the monitor, onto the stage, on top of my drink , which went FLYING all over the place, limes everywhere, all in front of a packed bar....Leg scraped and bleeding, neck all twisted , and there I was sprawled over the stage.....

This NEVER happened back when I was drinking, hee-hee.....

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger Malena said...

Spaced Law is the real Diva. I'm going to add photos of some orders. Our french attorney is making fahsion headlines with her "skull neck tie". I'll add photos and such to the blog now I am pretending to be part of the living. Well, maybe by 5 pm I'll get to it. I've been quilting my tail for weeks now. Miles sculpted some large land masses(shells)for me to wear on the top. Believe it or not, I'm quite shy. (I know, it's strange)
More later. Miles is teaching me how to put scales on the tail. That will take some patience.

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Oh no! Have you hurt yourself AGAIN, Lorraine ? And so close to the big day too. Do take care of yourself.

Miles is ever so sweet to help you with this, Malena. That tail feels like a major art project.

 
At 5:22 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Lori and I love Top Chef. We even kind of like Hell's Kitchen. I loved the chef last week (or was it even earlier?) calling Anthony Bourdain out for contradicting something he'd written in one of his books.

So glad you won, Lorraine. ^_^

Malena -- I can't wait to see the mermaid outfit. It's good to have family craft projects in such an arty household.

 
At 6:47 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I saw that Dan! It I laughed so hard! I loved that book too, " Kitchen Confidential" I thought the Chef who quoted from Anthony's book was going to go, and I think that saved him...

I am ok, it was just a Klutz Moment, hee-hee.

Malena is going to be the BEST , Mermaid ever! I think I will see if they will let me be a SQUID. I like Squids.

 
At 11:47 AM , Blogger Rubius said...

Beekeeper Monthly Centerfolds indeed. Lorraine you are great!! I love your 'punnish'ments. Can't wait to see you two sirens in vid... I bet the tail and your hair will be spendid. I have been thinking that youtube could use a good LaM Music Vid.

Now we all know our soon-to-be-birthday girl gardens in corsets but it looks like people in my neighbourhood would rather take their corsets off before gardening... no one wants to see a corset rained upon so I picked up the gorgeous steel-boned black velvet thing that was left next to the community-run railway track gardens on my walk to work this morning (while it was just starting to rain). I have seen a few fashionistas near by there... I will see if it is theirs and maybe I'll have to post a 'found corset' sign. But really...who would forget a practically new corset outside???

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

I really want to know the story behind the corset left in the garden, it can't be dull.....

 
At 10:46 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

That corset is the local scarecrow's.
Just because you're made of straw doesn't mean that you can't be fashionable or have a taste for stylish gothic clothing.
But you know, that with having to stand in the heat and all...

 
At 12:18 AM , Blogger Rubius said...

YEAHHHhhh!!!!! It's Malena's Birthday!!!! Happy Birthday Malena! May your day be filled with tantalizing delights and devilish treats!! Wishing you only the best!!!! Can we declare it International Malena day? Yay Malena's Day!! Hip hip hooray!!!

L-I will be sure to request the story as part of the deal when returning the corset :-P

Spacedlaw-it could just be... the flanel and jeans scarecrow did disintegrate into that area a few months ago...

***Yah Malena Day***

This was brought to you by supporters of International Malena Day!

 
At 4:35 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Í had more in mind something like this for the scarecrow...

And a happy, happy birthday indeed for our bewitching friend (still sleping at this hour, no doubt).

 
At 5:08 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Happy Birthday Malena! Hope your day is magical fun! Can't wait to see the mermaid costume- I bet the scales will be alot of work, but look terrific! What did Miles sculpt the top out of? Actually, I like squids too, good luck Lorraine - glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt on stage. Boy, if the beesuits are hot now, can you imagine what they'll be like when it starts to get REALLY hot out - we've been creeping towards the 90's already, not typical for this time of year. stay cool!

 
At 6:14 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

HEY! Her Birthday is THURSDAY and wait for it! Let me do a huge long embaressing gooey post for it!!!!!

( I have a PLan, an evil one, mmmwwwhahahaha, it's time you all knew the truth, I am going to write her bio, the real true one, mmmwwwmwhahahaha )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home