Saturday, January 28, 2006

A Day at the Beach with Kittie

Yesterday was one of those simply perfectly completely fun days that come along every so often. Miss Kitty came over early ( 11:00 am ) and we woke Nocturna early ( Noon ) and were on our merry way before the sun was full up. ( 1:00 pm )See photo..I'm helping her see in the daylight....


Venice Beach rocked. I am not sure why I missed the obvious ( something that happens to me quite a lot ) but it is a BEACH, as in ON the ocean. It's a long boardwalk with shops everywhere selling everything you could possibly not need. I bought a lot of stuff I did not need and it all made me quite happy. Two silk skirts, two tee-shirts, two paper mache skulls painted in neon, a rope of wooden skulls meant to fung sheui your car, and an Indian Necklace with earrings.

The people were as varied as the shops, and for some reason I made them laugh. Lots. Little mid-western me taking over Venice Beach....


Malena bought me more sunglasses. Before I met Malena I wore the stupidest sunglasses. Now I am as cool as anyone, I would never pick out or even consider the ones she chooses for me, but she is right on every time. I have her buy me several pairs every time we go past the Sunglasses Booths just so I always have a stash. ( just in case the sun ever comes back out in the frozen north )

We did get to GO in the ocean as I was seized with an overwhelming desire to get a henna tattoo, to sort of try on my Celtic ankle bracelet , to see if I might not want a real one someday, and I didn't want to get the thing wet. Next time we spend the day in the sand.


Kitty did take us to a place called Moonshdows, in Malibu , and we sat outdoors ( My LA girlfriends talking all the while about how cold it was . Huh???? ) and we watched the sunset over the ocean.


The ocean is one of California's best tricks. I love the ocean. It's like a great movie that never stops, and never repeats itself. I could have watched for hours, soaking up the light and the sun and the warmth. I feel myself again.


We ended up the night, as perfect days go, at my favorite Indian place with the rest of the family. Hot Vindaloo and coconut bread. Perfect. Then home to watch some Neverwhere, which Malena had not seen before. ( correction, Nocturna watched, while I tried valiantly to stay awake. Midnight is her witching hour , I'll get there someday )

Now it is Saturday morning and , wonder of wonders, the sky is blue, the sun is warm and shining, and at some point Nocturna will emerge from her crypt and we will venture forth again.

I love this town.

Love and oceans, Lorraine

Yes yes we had a fine day indeed. Venice is always fun..the people watching is just as entertaining as the shopping. Kitty came and picked us up. I got to ride in the backseat. Yeahhhhh! I hate to drive. She also BRIGHTENED....actually MADE my day by bringing me a script. As you can see, I am QUITE delighted to say the least..
I had a blast reading it and I can't wait to work on this FILM Meow! You're such a *goddess* Kitty!
NOT all of our activities turned out so well though. At one point, Lorraine had to Karate Chop this fan's neck..(He was trying to kiss me) THANK GOD for Lolo! It takes me at least 20 minutes to realize the person is talking to me. I'm not REALLY famous or anything. I'm always like, "Oh you're talking to me! HI! how are you?" Guess I didn't see the red flags waving!

Lorraine's henna tattoo was an experience...She was wearing a SKIRT. She didn't seem to be alarmed at all when she had to pull it up and tie it in a knot. I had to remind her she wasn't in MN anymore and men DO look up women's skirts. She so calmly replied (in front of the henna dude),
"Oh, I just want you to know I have panties on, so It's ok! And I'm sure you've seen it before anyway!"
I was so embarrassed I about died. (I get self conscious when I show a knee in daylight mind you!) Just walk away Div..walk away!
Did I mention ALL the guys were checking out Kitty? Yes, we were called "Charlie's Angels" more than once yesterday. Cat Calling has been reinvented I think!

Ohhh, did I mention Kitty learned to Ohm yesterday? Yes, she learned to "make the water dance with energy" via the Feng Shui dude. Just breathe Meow Meow! We've got lots of New Age BS in LA, like John Edward, Syliva Brown, that weird goth Malena chic...Charkra reading anyone? Joking dahling! Isn't life colorful and grand? Only in LA baby...ok maybe Sedona too!!


When we went to our fav restaurant last night, I decided to play a little trick on our waiter. I said, "This is my sister Kitty" Oh yeah. They bought it hook line and sinker. Notice the resemblance?

Today, we are off for a little hiking expedition. I have decided to wear "comfortable" shoes and keep my heels under 3 inches. Tripping and falling is my specialty. Lorraine says we're beauty and grace.....although neither one of us exude either of those characteristics very often. Only in public daaaahhhrrrlllingG!

Love, Leather and Lolo

Malena

27 Comments:

At 4:41 PM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

yes, you ARE both Beauty & Grace.
had a great time with my ladies fair.
sending you the movie too, I like to call it
"wisconsin meets malibu"
love & kisses,
Kitty

 
At 6:15 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

Yeah! We LOVED hanging out with you! We've got some great photos to post of our days adventures.

 
At 8:37 AM , Blogger vandaluna said...

Wow!
California seems so awesome!!
What a great time you are having!!

Fabulous [icon] Lorraine!! That is a great pic of you!!

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

More fun in SoCal! :)
Yes, the Fabulous Lorraine has definitely gone Hollywood with those sunglasses. Happiness is!
Not that the winter icon wasn't pretty, too.

I couldn't find new pictures in the Photos section of you website. Is it a problem with Firefox?

 
At 6:25 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

Checked and updated the photo page! You'll love the hiking escapade....kinda, well it IS very embarrassing.

 
At 7:41 PM , Blogger ravyn said...

Lorraine, i'm gonna put on my "henna artist hat" for a moment and say, just in case, be careful when getting henna tattoos.. beware of black henna. It's popular because it's black, and people want the black tattoo look, but, to make it black, they use hair dye in the mix, and that can cause serious allergic reactions in some people.

Here is a link to more info on black henna.

i'm not the world's best henna artist, but i do like to play with it. At last year's Balticon, i brought some henna and put it on my friends. i'd be glad to bring some this year :-D

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

ohhh yes! Bring the henna dah-linG!

 
At 1:07 AM , Blogger kali_licious said...

The new photos are great..especially the captions. LOL

And I love Lorraine's pretty new icon photo.

Ravyn, how do you apply your henna? With cones? I tried the gloopy stuff that comes in a tube and it was a disaster..it dried up almost instantly and clogged the applicator. I'm thinking about maybe trying some of the premixed stuff from Qamar Franji that comes in a ready to use cone, just haven't gotten the courage yet.:)

 
At 4:05 AM , Blogger ravyn said...

tuaregblue, i learned most of what i know about henna from The Henna Page, and Catherine Cartwright-Jones. i mix up my own henna, and put it into a "carrot bag", which is a triangular-shaped plastic bag that orange jelly beans are sometimes packaged in for Easter. It's almost like cake decorating i guess.

i like mixing my own because then i have no doubts about its freshness, and with henna that's really important.

Feel free to email me (nora at ravyn dot com) if you want to further compare notes without hogging this blog :-)

 
At 4:12 AM , Blogger K said...

Henna tattoos!

I got my first one last summer. I'd decided it should be on my shoulder, so I could keep it discreet at work. This involved sitting around outside on a very windy Edinburgh day wearing just a vest top. That was OK, though the artist had trouble keeping her designs from blowing away.

Then I realised I couldn't put my shirt back on until the henna had had a chance to sink in... So for a couple of hours at work I was stuck in my vest top, bare arms and crumbling henna in full view... so much for being discreet!

It could have been worse - my friend RG got one on her stomach, and of course had to lie on her back until it was fully dried, so as not to smudge it by bending...

I want another one, though. I know someone who had mehndi for her wedding - maybe she'd have some tips!

 
At 4:31 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Great pictures and great fun! I've been intrigued by henna - I've never seen it applied or on a person (sheltered life huh?) but the photos I've seen are interesting - how long does it last on the skin?

 
At 6:04 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I love the pic of Lo leading Mal out into the sunlight. LOL

 
At 7:41 AM , Blogger vandaluna said...

Hey Ravyn?
Did you ever check into getting Catherine Cartwright Jones to come to Baltic Con?? :-)
Oh, I am so evil and SUCH a bad influence. ::snicker::

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger K said...

Ivenotime - mine lasted about three weeks, despite not really having been left on long enough. It looked really faint for the first day, but darkened to strong-tea colour shortly thereafter. I've been told they don't last so long on your hands, because the skin renews itself more quickly.

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger ravyn said...

henna lasts longest where it can be absorbed by the skin the deepest: the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet. It can last up to 8 weeks in those places, but keep in mind that because it is a stain on the skin, it will be continually fading as the skin cells are sloughed off.

It also takes 24-48 hrs for the color to develop, so you usually won't see the strongest color immediately after the paste comes off.

i usually get several days of good strong color on my hands before it starts to fade, and the total time is usually about 2 weeks. For me.

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger vandaluna said...

With henna, it also gets darker if you add turpines, but it doesn't last as long.

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Is anybody else having problems seeing the left and/or right margins of the LaM webpage? I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my browser, but the right margin on the main page, and now the left margin on the photo page are cut off. No slide bar is showing up on the bottom of the window, though I do get one for scrolling up and down.
Is it just me?

I really didn't see any pictures that looked like anyone was in an embarrassing position to me. Looks like more fun!

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

ariandalen: I have no problems with the edges of the website and I use firefox.

lorraine: I luvs the hair dahlink! Is it dyed?

Is all of California as gorgeous as your piccies portray it to be? Wow.

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

darlings all. henna, shmenna. real tattoos!
that is what we were hoping missy Lolo would go for, for her birthday, and the henna is a "practice"tester.
comments on tattoos? yes, perma-ness, can be intimidating, but only for the committed...
i am back from a day of doing (partially) what Lolo does daily, and forever, i have, if Possible, MORE respect for her.
my love to all the L'ammies, and wah! where is my teeny tiny photo?
signed, the pooped LA asst. a la Kitty

 
At 6:55 AM , Blogger ravyn said...

A while back, i wanted a tattoo, but i couldn't afford it. i have a girlfriend who does beautiful celtic knotwork and spiral work designs, and she designed a tattoo for herself that showed the phases of the moon, across her back. It is lovely!

i like henna because it's not permanent. i can try out different things, and they'll be gone in a couple of weeks. And i love putting designs on my hands, so it's nice to be able to change my mind :-D

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger K said...

Yes, I would NEVER be sure I would like the design for the rest of my life. And also there's the needles and blood thing. I've seen too many recently-completed tattoos on other people (oh, OK, only two. I'm a wimp).

I'm inspired now. I think I'm going to scope out where I can buy some henna and paint myself up. In the comfort of my own home this time.

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger Fabulous Lorraine said...

henna tattoos at Baltic Con? Oh yes. We are getting crazier by the minute. How cool.

 
At 12:50 PM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Yes paint versus needles...I am a wimp too. Sounds like fun,tho my hands are so ragged and rough I think just about anywhere else would work better! Except feet, cuz how can they be painted without laughing? Shoulders, like K's would work for me, maybe in a few months when it FINALLY starts to get warmer (brrrr..poor K)The pics I've seen are lovely and intricate, really works of art.

 
At 1:40 PM , Blogger ravyn said...

okay, i have to say it.

Balticon, NOT Baltic Con. The Balti- part stands for Baltimore, there is nothing "baltic" about it **chuckle**.

K - seriously, check out HennaPage.com. They have a list of trusted sources to get fresh henna powder, and all the info (and other supplies)you need to do it yourself. Or you can email me too ;-)

 
At 6:21 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

Sheesh Ravyn, The bird took the worm!!
How 'bout Co-Baltic Con? Hmm, and what does this have to do with criminals anyway? Or are they our GoHs? :;snicker::
(vanda ducks before she gets hit by Ravyn)

Tattoos...I don't mind needles. No big thang! I wouldn't want to have on me anything I couldn't remove and just be totally nekkid. I also like that you can change henna with your mood and continue to be creative.

Yes, Lolo...cobalt-i-con will be interesting...get the bird girl and I together and you and Malena and the rest of the cast of this list! Awesome! Chocolate for everyone!

 
At 10:46 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

You know, you are all making ball tick on very very very tempting.... for a poor envious canadian who can't afford american $$$ (bloody exchange rate)

and the pictures are lovely. the Ireland/LA pic was fantastic. congrats on the lovely weather. I am sure you both deserved it. :-)

 
At 7:38 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

Awww Rubius...
The prices really aren't great.
I just do it and some how it all works out. I don't know if you can share a room to cut costs and if you can drive down but this should be the best Ball tie con I've ever been to.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home