Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Trying to Catch Up....

Hello All,

This has been such a busy week, even for me and my Oh No I'm Not DOING The Holiday This Year vow, it all just seems to catch you up and whirl you away in, suck you up and leave you wondering just how you got here.

I am getting a lovely box for Malena ready to send off. Looks more like Halloween than Christmas, go figure. I would tell you all what is in it, but I suspect our little Corset Queen checks in here from time to time and she has been trying for weeks to figure out her present, hee-hee. ( Ok, I'll give you a hint, it's mostly about BUGS. The perfect thing. No one ever has enough bugs. )

I have sent off a Basket of Goodies to my Grandmother, which seemed like a Good Thing to do . Am now looking for a river to go over, and some woods to go thru , to make the experience complete. In the last month she has had hip surgery, pneumonia, a heart attack and triple bypass surgery. Apparently, she is fine now. I should be so tough at 80....

It looks as tho The Hot Birdchick, her husband and the Sexy Librarian will be coming over for Chirstmas day for something called Naked Christmas. I am assured it has much more to do with Pajamas and Pie and bad movies than it does with actual Nakedness. Fingers crossed.

I may be playing on New Years Eve, with the Malloys, but that has yet to be confirmed. If I'm not playing I plan on staying safe at home with 7 cats and a DVD player. I am not sure which to hope for , to tell the truth, both sound like great ideas.

We will have to have another chat sometime between Christmas and New Years. All of you school folk are off school, the working folk not working to hard, and the family types are probably going to need a family break. These chats get more exciting each time, and uh, go places I never would have expected.

I have a little thing in my head all about holidays and family and friends, but it is going to have to wait, as this is still work time, and there is a lot of it. I am trying to be good and not eat to many Goodies. The ski trails are open, hurrah and I am about to go off for my first Ski of the Year.

( And remember, I live in a state with no HILLS. This is calorie burning, butt busting, knock down drag out ski on the flatlands in the below zero weather. The sort of thing we do for fun in the winter here. For a complete day, I may talk someone into taking me ice fishing. That's where one sits in the cold over a hole in the ice and tries to catch a frozen fish. )

Ah winter.....

Love and Snow, Lorraine

10 Comments:

At 4:35 PM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

hee hee. I just read your ski-description to the boy and he said "yep, sounds like Minnesota". Not sure if he was just remembering to remember or if he was feeling nostalgic and wishing he were there. Have fun!

And good grief, you're grandmother must be a real tough cookie to go through all that in a month and be "fine" now! eep!

-mouse with way too much time to play online because school is nearly over!

 
At 5:23 PM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Yes, your gramma sounds phenomenal - we should all be that strong, tho she certainly has had more than her fair share. Hope 2006 brings a calmer year for her healthwise! I have xcountry skiis but hate the cold and oh, its been a couple years since I've put them on. Too bad there's no one like you around here to shame me into them! happy skiing!

 
At 5:31 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

My grandfather is in his 80s and still running marathons. I hope I'm half as mobile as he is at his age. Glad to hear that your grannie is doing well!

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for trinkets with which to stock my next LaMie care package. *mwah-ha-ha-ha*

I'm looking forward to the next chat! If I'm at home I'll hook up my webcam.

Glad to hear school is nearly over, M.M.!

 
At 1:44 AM , Blogger K said...

Happy Midwinter's Day!

Lorraine, Malena - I have a favour to ask.

It's like this. I'm getting married (woo!) at Easter, and we want my brother to sing something while I sign the register. We have a few ideas, but being as you're the magical Celtic folk experts and all-round cool people... do you have any genius ideas?

Preferably, it needs to be a happy but not tacky love song. "She moved through the fair" and various Burns songs have been rejected as too sad... He's a bass-baritone (but we can transpose).

Your Gramma does indeed sound amazing.

PLEASE have a chat between Christmas and Hogmanay! That would be fabby, and I might even get to stay up late to participate!

 
At 6:40 AM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

how i wish i would be warming my hands at your new year's fire, Lolo. or at least joining you for the Naked meeting..sounds so cool! (literally)
am at my childhood home, and you know how that can make a girl feel little again.
It has been a great visit so far, truly, and so much more to come... NYC next week, strike or no,
anybody need anything? Malena, a torch? no, i forgot, you just look at things and they feel your heat, you hottie.
and now, shopping with me wee Irish mum.
a happy new year to all the L'ammies...
(Stardust, this will be the Chinese year of the dog, & we are all sending big love your way, darling girl)

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

Oooh... a book?! :D Yay!!! (does happy dance - though a little of that is from classes finally being over)

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Jodyth said...

Regarding Celtic love songs, this librarian really gets romantically misty over scads of them. You do realize, however, that many of them end unhappily. Probably why I like them so much. No slogging through 30 years together trying to work things out if you can die tragically young and beautiful out on a moor and make your lover pine.

I do know a few happy endings, however. Andy M. Stewart of Silly Wizard fame singing Golden, Golden, or Heart of the Home, or If I Never Spend a Morning Without You. http://andymstewart.com/

Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair is lovely. Luka Bloom does a brialliant version of it. http://www.lukabloom.com/

Both men are brilliant in concert if you ever have a chance to see them.

 
At 8:03 AM , Blogger K said...

The one snag with Black is the Colour of My True Love's Hair? Both our crowning glories are light brown. (My mother's already been cracking me up by altering the lyrics of various songs that say "golden hair". Well, it's golden-ish brown, right?)

But seriously, thanks for all the suggestions, people. I agree - nothing wrong with the sad songs, but I don't want anyone to cry at my wedding!

Step-we-gaily-on-we-go, heel-for-heel-and-toe-for-toe! Might be a little lively for the church but I guarantee we'll dance to it at the reception. (I'm having my dress without a train specially so I can dance in it.) I have heard the Magnetic Fields song, if it is the one on 69 Love Songs, and I like it (hmmm, maybe I can tell my parents it's traditional and get past their "No modern music" request...)

And I'd love to hear the Flash Girls' song, as I haven't, and Neil lyrics have got to be a good thing, no?

 
At 1:41 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

K, "The Queen Among the Heather" isn't too bad. You might try to find the book _Folksongs of Britain and Ireland_, edited by Peter Kennedy, Oak Publications 1984, ISBN 0.7119.0283.6. The above song is #141 in the section "Songs of Courtship." The songs in the book are divided into sixteen sections, starting with "Songs in Scottish Gaelic." There are notes for all the songs including some alternate verses. I don't remember all the words, but what about "The Queen of Argyle" by Andy M. Stewart? I've heard it on Bedlam Bards' "Furious Fancies" album (www.bedlambards.com).

Lorraine, I understand about strong-willed grandmothers. One of mine almost died because she wouldn't wake anyone up too early to take her to the hospital when she was having trouble breathing. She was between 80 and 85 at the time.

 
At 6:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home