Friday, September 23, 2005

HarDANGER , Scotsmen and Malena in the Evening

The Studio this week has been one of the best and most demanding expierences of my musicial life. Some things have come easily, another song, just my fiddle bit, took 4 and a half hours. My respect for Adam as a producer grows daily. A producers job is to hep you take your ideas and get them onto tape, and to get the parts out of You as perfect as you can play them. Which is most often much more than you think you can do, if you seee what I mean.

I haven't cried yet, but my language has gone rather foul a few times, hee-hee....If I have to tune the Hardanger again, they may roll tape. ( Just realized the actual spelling of the thing, HarDANGER indeed!!!!! ) Mine is a rather lovely one, with a carved dragon head, but it is very old, and the thing has, besides the regular four strings, four more that run under the finger board , they sort of vibrate in sympathy. Or rather agony if they are not perfectly in tune ....

Malena comes tonight, which does my heart good. It has been so very hard to be in the studio this week working without her. I want so badly for her to be there, and for her to be able to hear as the songs grow up and the bones all get some flesh. I miss her ideas, and her wit ( which , it BEING the studio, can get as foul as anyone going , and I include the boys in this ...) I miss her support and her strenth when I am on the 30th take and it still isn't going right. The good news is , we have a few hours on Monday before she goes back, and we are going to spend them adding a few more bits of her.

You can never have enough Malena!

( Mwwwwaaahahahahahha!!!!!! )

( Not sure why I thought that needed Evil Laughter...)

Mullie recorded his vocals on Song of the Cailleach Bheur yesterday, , which is a song with words by Jane Yolen and music by Adam, truly truly lovely. Oh, and let's just forstall the comments, hee-hee, no , no idea how to pronounce it, and Mullie TOLD us yesterday and SINGS it in the song...And I still don't know how to say it. Anyone??? My fiddle parts took nearly four hours, but I did get to write a new fiddle tune for the middle of it.

I truly don't mean to tease you with all the talk of the songs, we are just so exceited tho, we can't seem to stop. We want so badly to share them with you, and for you to hear them, and one hopes, you will love them as we do. We will post an MP3 or two as Soon as we have a mix.

Hmmm....I seems to have gone back and forth there from being One person to Two. Might just be that kind of day....

And of course, Malena comes at the end of it....

Love and best friends,
Lorraine

4 Comments:

At 11:54 AM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

( Not sure why I thought that needed Evil Laughter...)


Because sometimes evil laughter is necessary - and it's always so much fun! :D

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

hey studio babes:
it is me writing from arkansas, we are being diverted by hurricane rita to veer clear of houston, show cancelled, and not sure what is going to be happening next--
can't wait to see you both, am excited that you two will reunite in the studio and in the magic castle.
email me when you can.
xoxoxo Kitten

 
At 1:25 AM , Blogger K said...

Aargh fiddle-tuning frustration. I would love to have a go on an eight-stringed instrument but I can see that eight slidey pegs might be enough to drive anyone to distraction...

As for the song title - I think it would be something like "gallie vuhr". But don't take it as gospel - I am but a Lowlander with very little Gaelic-speaking heritage and certainly none in the last 3 generations. Maybe Mullie would be more reliable? (Or my mum, who once did a Gaelic class.)

 
At 8:03 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I can't wait to hear an mp3 or two.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home