Monday, August 22, 2005

Gig Head, St Dominic's Trio and Spanking Pigs

Today I can say with certainty that I have a total and complete case of Gig-head. It's a lot like trying to walk thru sludge. Or swim in honey. Or fly in a dream. Everything is really funny too, I'm in a great mood. But I can't think to save my life. I have taken to writing down anything my Boss says to me, because I know it will fly right out in the next minute. I actually added it up and I played more hours than I slept the last three days....

I had great fun at the shows this weekend, wonderful music all around. In the evenings we played on the patio at Kierran's , outdoors in the city, very weird but wonderful fun, nice crowds and we made a lot of new friends. ( and I will say again, to one person in particular Cap'n Jack Sparrow is not a WUSS or GAY or anything but HOT and I am going to wear that Tee-shirt every time you come and see us forever more!!!! Hee-hee...You know who you are...)

The best part of the weekend was Saturday night. I was beyond tired and we were playing from 7-11 , then getting up early the next morning for the Festival shows, didn't think I was going to make it UNTIL 11 and so when the band that was playing indoors asked me to come in and sit in for a bit, as they were playing until 2, my first thought was You Must Be Kidding, I can hardly stand I am so tired, my arms are falling off, and I can no longer think, let alone get back up on Stage, you all seem really nice but sorry no can do. Then I heard them. Wow, thinks I. These guys are Hot , as in they can really play, there may be a few songs in this poor fiddler yet! They were called St. Dominic's Trio ( http://www.belfastcowboys.com/cowboys.html ) and they were four members of a larger band called the Belfast Cowboys. ( I know trio implies three, don't dwell on it ) They do Van Morrison covers all in their own style and I had SUCH a blast playing with them , really great players, and I can't wait for them to invite me back again, when, perhaps I have a brain and can actually Play properly.....I love those guys!!!!!

The Festival shows went fine, Folk UnderGround plays on a huge stage, opening for the top act, Puke and Snot ( who are wonderful ) so we have rather large crowds, wireless mics and the whole bit. People seemed really into the songs where everyone Dies, as opposed to the ones where everything is drinking or falling in and out of lust. Come to think on it , many of our songs have all three, the drinking, dying and doing it all rolled in together. But when we asked the audiences if they wanted a love song, a drinking song or a song where everyone dies, we had dead silence until we got to death, every show Sunday, not kidding.

The other band I play with , Bedlam, has a lot of just plain fun. Johnny ( Big Sexy ) Sjogren from the Tim Malloys is in that one, as well as Mark Sterling ( who I played with years ago in a band whose name I forget ) and Paul Regge . The one surreal incident , and remember how tired I am by this point Sunday , was at the end of the last show, we were doing a song called Three Wet Pigs and Paul pulls out a RUBBER PIG and plays a squeaking lead break on it by spanking it.

Surreal hit a new ceiling. IF he does it again ( and believe me this IS under discussion ) I'll take a photo of it, so you can see just how weird my life is. Yes, I am in a band where someone takes leads by SPANKING A PIG. Boy bands.....

I think it is time for Malena to come home now.

Love and Daeth and Spanking Pigs, Lorraine

2 Comments:

At 1:35 AM , Blogger K said...

Spanking pigs! hee hee hee...

I am with you on Master Sparrow. He's kewl. Actually lots of guys seem to agree - I was in "Pirates of Penzance" the autumn after PotC came out and we had a lot of eyelinered pirates in the chorus! (Some wearing kilts and/or biker jackets.)

 
At 9:29 AM , Blogger Jodyth said...

Are you sure "spanking the pig" is not a euphemism? Sounds kinky!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home