Monday, June 06, 2005

More Rants on Fashion....

Last Thursday , after I dropped my Boss at the airport, before my plane was to leave for LA, I had about three hours to kill, and so, went off to the MAUL of Americia. One of the stores I stopped at was Hot Topic, as I do love the Tee shirts and thought I might get a couple of cool ones for the road. I picked out several, and as they looked small-ish got them in XL, the highest they went up to . ( tho the men's shirts went to xxxl ) It was a sad thing when I tried them on as they were WAY to small. I took one out to Malena and nicely enough, it did fit her. Snuggly.

In fairnes to Hot Topic I must say when I asked them why they had only small shirts they said that they had PLUS sizes available on the web site.

Plus sizes?

Says I, you mean sizes larger than 8? Yesssss, says they...Plus sizes.

Sigh.

In another wierdly enough event, when I got off the plane coming home from LA last night and was waiting for my luggage there was a report on CNN about a law they had just passed in Argentina saying stores must off as many larger sizes as smaller, to combat the wave of anorexia that is currently all over the country. A Law was passed.

Sigh again I say.

The store we visited the other day in LA said they did order as many "larger" sizes as smaller but they sold out first thing and then they could not get any more. What doe sthis tell you ??? Where will this stop? What is going on? Being overwieght is a serious problem in this country but this undersizing and emphisis on being a stick and not a normal women is doing as much damage to women as being overwieght is. MALENA has had the same expierence that Adrianna mentioned in the comments section of going into a store and being told " We have nothing for YOU " They are size 8!

Tonight a small 10 year old girl who happens to live with us , showed up in a cool shirt I bought her at Hot Topic some time ago. She is in every way a normal sized 10 year old. Not large, not small. Normal. And TEN. What size is that shirt, I ask her and we look.

She wears a Large.

Here's love and light and sanity to beautiful normal women everywhere,
Lorraine

PS for those wondering, the Garden has exploded and is growing like weeds, which are also thriving quite nicely. Perhpas everyone ought to have a Garden Fop come over and work magic on plants.....

3 Comments:

At 8:40 PM , Blogger Stardustgirl said...

Welcome back you jet-setting rockstar goddess you!

Our fopless garden is doing fine as well, though I'd not turn away any fops appearing at the door and offering to perform garden magic, 'cos it never hurts! We went from Winter to Drought, so me and the froggie sprinkler have been busy.

Argentina sounds like they mean well, but I think they're not going to solve anything by just having larger sizes out there. Anorexia isn't always about size....control is a huge chunk of it. But yes, the Hollywood "ideal" of a toothpick girl with a DD bust is nuts. And I find it odd that they'd point you to plus sizes! You're hardly plus size! Then again... what do they consider the right size for the Big Is Beautiful type models? 10? Crazy. Especially when you consider that humans are getting taller with each generation. I think the sizes are stuck in the 1800s.

 
At 3:44 AM , Blogger K said...

I feel your frustration with the T-shirts. I try things on in fits of optimism, too. So... am I right in thinking a US size 8 is roughly equivalent to a UK size 10? Does anybody know?

I don't think I even know anyone smaller than a UK size 10! Not in real life. Size 10 is very slender in my book.

Well. I'm glad the garden is flourishing. Love and light and so on to you too.

Kirsten

 
At 2:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for helping me to remember I'm quite normal. Sometimes it's hard to maintain perspective in this town.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home