Monday, June 13, 2005

Countdown Begins....

Had a wonderfuly fun weekend this weekend. The ever delightful Miss Kitty came out from LA on Thursday and tho , sadly, she has left us now, but having her for a visit is always much fun. We got to make Indian food for everyone and spent the rest of the time taking pictures and doing small things. She nearly got to see a Midwestern Thunderstorm of Doom, but the weather did not co-operate and all the storms managed to miss us. ( no fun for frustrated Weather Girl Lorraine I say )

Malena and I have been doing much talking about the upcoming recording sessions. We are still putting the final touches on the cd, little things like " What ARE we going to record " or " Who is playing what? " Adam Stemple and I managed to miss eachother completely yesterday , trying to have a production meeting on the thing, but I did get the notes to him. I imagine he is hard at work trying to figure out what the heck I was talking about in all of them. ( I know the notes for one song read: " God Knows, I sure don't " )

It's an odd way to go about a cd but it does work. In the Flash Girls for the first two cd's Emma and I knew the songs and had been playing together for a long time when we went into the studio. On the third cd, Wild Queen, she had been moved away for several years and we had not played. She came out and we rehersed for three days and then went in and recorded. With Folk Underground we had been playing together for a long time, but had never played many of the songs that ended up on Buried Things, we simply learned and built them in the studio.

Malena and I have had less time together than either Flash Girls or Folk UnderGround. As far as music goes at any rate. I don't think this is going to be a problem, as we have in our heads what exactly we want it to sound like, and we can build these songs with Adam as they go along. Chirs Ewen is doing magic things to several of the tracks and working on the booklet with Malena. It's actually very exciting, to think what is going to come out of these sessions. Next week is going to be all about practice out in LA, then on the 27th, into the studio.

Yesterday I had an e-mail with some more lyrics by Jane Yolen, hurrah and hurrah! Timing is everything and this week more music needs to be written, for they are truly lovely! Also I was listening to what we have already recorded with the truly talented Lojo Russo, and as Malena remarked, " Even if we do nothing else, it's worth it right there"

Now I am going to weed the ever growing full of weeds garden and hum little songs to myself and think about fiddle parts and harmonies and the fact that in a very short time, I will be spending all of my time seeing just what Lorraine a' Malena is all about.

Sounds good to me.

2 Comments:

At 1:51 AM , Blogger K said...

You're making me want to go and play my violin, untouched for about a year (too busy to practise, sadly). Grrr, the frustration.

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Kate said...

It sounds like you two have such amazing chemistry that collaboration's going to be effortless anyway.

It's great to hear about this in progress.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home