Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Cold That Kills...And makes One Alive.

It was 6 below zero by 6:00pm tonight driving into my gig. Even my wonderful Prius could not keep up with it. Windchill much lower. It's the kind of cold that, on the highway, you find yourself, and everyone around you , slowing down, it's just that cold. Speeds slow to 60, 55, 50, and then someone will realise it, and everyone speeds back up.

I thought I would never be warm again, and thought how nice it would be in my cozy Pub.

Pub, never exactly the most weather-proof place ( hey, it was built in 1860 ) had lost it's heat.

Cold? Oh yes. I thought, " well, there goes tonight, it must be barely 50 in here"

And no one left. They packed the place. They wore their coats, and hats, and gloves. They warmed their poor hand on the candles, on each table. They got blankets from the hotel. My little fingers were so cold, it was so hard to play.

And they stayed. All night.

They lent me a hoodie. And a hat. I gave them ever thing I had in me, in return.

And they were so happy.

I am beyond happy, that much love, makes one weak. They thanked me, and all I could think was....

Thank you.

Music is sometimes so beyond worthwhile, it is sometimes, the only thing in the world that matters. That we could all freeze together for four hours doesn't even seem like a small price to pay for that much together. Everyone there tonight is now a good friend to everyone else who was there.

It was Minus 15 driving home. Won't see zero any time soon. I am wrapped in all my clothes, and a robe and am sitting as close to my fire as possible. And , damm the heating bills, have turned up the heat. I may never be warm again, but my heart sure is, and will be.

Thank you. A gift like tonight may not come twice in a lifetime.

Lorraine

13 Comments:

At 1:11 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Ok, ok, so I might be whining, but doesn't this, taken from wunderground.com seem a BIT lacksidaisly-cal????

" Rest of Tonight...
Clear. Lows around 20 below. West winds 5 to 10 mph. "

One could die of exposure....

( which is JUST what I say when people want free gigs and say " but " it wil be great exposure for you" hee-hee )

 
At 9:53 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Nothing warmer than love!
How did you manage to play the violin with cold hands?

 
At 10:12 AM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

It wasn't easy. And my hands hurt today. I think I just thought that if they could sit there with freezing hands, warming them on candels, I could play for them.

You play the gig. Whatever it is, where ever it is. Doesn't matter if it is 50 people or 10,000.

I was at a Festival in Nova Scocia once, in the middle of a huge thunderstorm, and saw the performers on stage , with several thousand people , all wrapped in rain gear, watching, and loveing it. It wasn't until the lightning got really bad, and it went severe, and the Festival pulled the plugs, in fear for their lives that they stopped. Amazing.

You play the gig.

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger Rubius said...

Well done Lorraine, well done.

Music contains it's own reward. It is a gift you give and receive at the same time. That pain in your hands.. you gave them that in your gift of music, and you gave them all the effort that went into years of practice at what you do, and you gave them your best... and they returned it in the only way they knew... as love.

Well done Lorraine.

Well done.

 
At 12:18 PM , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

Talk about suffering for your art!!!! Nice to know that you have so many warm hearted friends that love you! You are indeed a speical lady! Keep warm!

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger Malena said...

You are a "fabulous" entertainer Lo. Always bring a FLUFFY coat to your gigs. I'd send you some gloves, but you couldn't play in them.

BTW, for all of you who don't know...

Lorraine's BIRTHDAY is on February 15th. Cupid hit her parents in the right spot!

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Well, I'm no saint, ask Malena. I'm not even really very nice. You lot just THINK so because I like you, hee-hee.

Yes, it will be my B'day soon. It will actually be three days this year!

I'll do a post , but for now here you go...

February 14th, playing with Lojo Russo

February 15th Playing with the Tim Malloys

February 16th playing with Paul

All of them 7:30 to 11:30 at Charlie's, in Stillwater MN!

It's kind of my present to myself, playing with all the people ( BUT FOR ONE! ) that I love playing with best.

 
At 10:51 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

I wonder if we could get some gang out in California to kidnap Malena for that weekend...
And have her delivered to you rolled in a carpet on your birthday, in pure regal style.

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger FabulousLorraine said...

Spacelaw, I am pretty sure you ARE an International Spy of some sort. Surely you know People who could do this????????

Really it's the only way.

Do it, but make sure it is a Red Carpet, she deserves it at the very least.

 
At 10:40 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Of course! If she has to make an grand entry à la Cleopatra, then the best carpet (a flying one too) must be provided.

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger Loves Pickles said...

What an amazing evening! It was great meeting you and Paul, and your music was warmth enough. I found myself with tears trickling down my face during the last song, you played so beautifully. It was very magical.
~Rachel~

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

Magical, fabulous Lorraine!

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It was so cold that morning that the electronic displays on our Prius wouldn't come up. And that was in Shakopee.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home