Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Halloween Suggestions

Apple Blossom had a question about corsets for Halloween. Since I live in them, I thought I'd shed some light..or air on the subject of how to wear them comfortably.

The most comfortable corset is one with a sweetheart neckline. The front should make an M shape. (Like the one I wore in 13 Nights)





Find one that laces up the back and has metal closures up the front or none at all. These kind of corsets look tight even when they are comfortable. This style always looks good on busty, full figured girls like Lorraine and I. I try to stay away from styles with underwire cups because they are never large enough.

If you are small busted or on the short side, the tanktop style works well. Like this one:





The underwire styles will give you the illusion of a larger bust. Like this one:




Order a corset by your waist size unless you are tall and busty. Then add an inch for height. For example, my waist is a 27, but I order a 28 due to my bodacious bust and bottom.

Vogue out for Halloween everyone! You don't have to spend a lot of money to look fabulous. Here's a few fast and easy costume suggestions:
1. For that Fairy look, Buy a cheap eye mask, some feathers, glitter and rhinestones and make a masquerade mask! Add fishnets, a skirt, and a corset and you're on your way. Feather wings are always fun too. Like these:




You can find a pair for around $25.00 or less on Ebay, or you can make a pair out of construction paper, glitter and paint!

2. For that Bride of Frankenstein look, you can go to a second hand store and buy a wedding dress, then decorate it with fake blood. Or, throw it in the washing machine with one package of red RIT dye and one package of black. Tie dye it with rubber bands or tie it in knots for super goth style!

3. For that Witchy Malena look... buy a witch hat, a few plastic spiders, some black feathers and some sparkly fabric. Wa-la! You have a custom witch hat! Use the extra fabric to make a bustle for your skirt. Add a swirl of black eyeliner and you'll look like Death!

4. Take your lover hostage and dress up as a pirate! All you need is a plastic sword, some hoop earrings, a bandana, a corset and some boots. No one will notice your sword isn't real, they'll be too focused on your cleavage!

5. Look Purrrr-fect by wearing a bodysuit, a corset and a tail. You can make ears our of black card stock and bobby pin them into your hair. Add a marabou boa for a tail and draw on some whiskers. Meee-ow! Add an eye mask for a retro catwoman look.

I always made my costumes. My costume rule is: "You can fix just about anything with a little duct tape and a glue gun!" They also make a cool product called Stitch Witchery. (Love the name) It's tape that melts into the fabric when you iron it, fusing it together. Here's some info on that: www.dritz.com/askus/faq/faq_07.php
You can buy it at any fabric/craft store, or at discount stores like Wal-Mart.

And lastly, if you have a corset, you HAVE a costume! Just add some snazzy accessories! Hope that helps a little. Let me know. I love giving fashion advise you know. I want Halloween photos of EVERYONE! Email them to me and I'll post them on our site.
Happy Haunting!

3 Comments:

At 1:49 AM , Blogger K said...

Ahh, your "retro Catwoman" suggestion brought back happy memories.

I didn't quite have the nerve to go the bodysuit route (and a lot of the kids I was teaching at the time were there - nobody needs to see teacher in a catsuit!) but I wore a black velvet trouser suit, tail, ears and made-up eyes and whiskers, a cute choker with a bell on it, and high-heeled boots to be Puss in Boots.

Actually, since I was in France at the time, I was Le Chat Botté (should be La Chatte, non?) I think it was Mardi Gras not Hallowe'en, but who cares, it was a great night!

 
At 6:19 AM , Blogger K said...

Well, I was born in September and my middle name is May. ABBeck's way makes more sense!

(Although I was named for my Granny and her birthday is in May. So there is some logic in there somewhere.)

I'm bored today - can you tell?

 
At 11:37 AM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

You left out the easiest costume in the world: Cheapo devil horns purchased at the local bargain shop, with or without tail & pitchfork. Must wear impish smirk or the costume doesn't work. Actually, sometimes this costume doesn't work at all because people keep asking where your costume is... Maybe I should re-think this one.

For my part, I'll be Ophelia from Hamlet this year. I picked up a late middle ages style dress at the SF Opera sale and need an excuse to wear it. Easiest costume ever. Just add flowers EVERYWHERE and be prepared to fling yourself into water. Then look around to see the 1% of the onlookers who "get it". :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home