Tuesday, January 02, 2007

How Fat Is Fat and What is it Doing to You

Ok, ok, I know we have been here before, most likely last year, but here comes a rant!!!!!!!

I have recently just got cable TV and being new to it, I am watching everything from Cops to SVU to Roseanne and some truly bizarre things. ( tho I kind of liked " In Search Of The Vampire" complete with really bad reenactment ) It being the New Year and the time of starting to diet and get fit and such, every other commercial is about the Next New Plan.

I think it was the Nurti System commercial that finally got me. The lovely model comes on and says " LOOK I AM A SIZE 2 " I LOST 30 POUNDS and I AM A SIZE 2" Hello? Is that something to shoot for? 30 pounds to a size 2 sounds like she started out at about, oh a size 6? Perhaps an 8?????

Then there was the add in People. The entire issue was devoted to Half their Size. Very good, people who were truly overweight losing weight because they needed to. I applaud them. They did it right , and needed to get thinner and changed their lives. But right in the middle of this was the add " MIKE COULD NOT COOK UNTIL HE FOUND HORMEL CHILI. NOW HE PUTS DOWN THE CHIPS AND A CAN OF CHILI AND COVERS IT WITH CHEESE , INTO THE MICROWAVE AND EVERYONE LOVES IT, THE KIDS, AND MIKE LOVES TO SIT IN HIS CHAIR IN FRONT OF THE TV AND EATS IT UP!!!!!" ( real add, folks )

And good 'ol Special victims Unit, which is a show I like. Two detectives, a women ( Benson ) and Stabler ( man ). I could not help but notice that in one episode Stabler was, well, heavy looking. Not fat, and most likely in real life quite normal. Benson? Thin as a rail and I wondered what would have happened had it been the women gained the weight.

We know something about that from our Malena and how thin she has to be in order to work. ( has she ever been as " heavy" as say, a size 10????? I don't think so ) I know in Hollywood if you are a woman and want to work, you have to be really underweight. This is crazed. I know there are a lot of places that help people lose weight, people who need to , but women are being so pressured to be thin that the message is if you are a size 12, you are too fat. This is crazed.

I can remember being aged 11 and my mother telling me if I "got down" to 95 pounds , she would buy me a bikini. ( I was 5'3 and 105 ) I remember being a figure skater at 15 and being told I could really go somewhere if I lost some weight. ( 5'5 and 130, all of it muscle ) What kind of message are we sending to kids????? Or ourselves? I have always thought I was fat. Even at 5'6 and 145. I thought if only I was thin, everything would be alright and better.

It's still going on and is worse than ever. I hear from young girls all the time asking me if they are too fat or if this makes them look fat. Most are fine. Some are not. And these poor kids live on junk food. And they feel hopeless, unwanted, and ugly, but have no idea how to fix anything. SO they fall prey to the fad diets, the adds, and unrealistic expectations and fail again and again.

I quit drinking after Thanksgiving. ( trust me, I had a problem , won't ever go back there, but that's another blog ) Best thing I ever did and I am happier than I have been in a really long time. I am learning something about self esteem. About self image. I have also lost 18 pounds since then. I need to lose weight, it is also a good thing. I eat right, I work out. Again, good things.

But I wonder, when I reach my goal weight, whatever that may be, how am I going to feel? Will I still feel " fat " ?

Let's have some sanity. Let's remember what is truly important. If you haven't checked in on Malena's blog lately, go see her essay she just wrote on this, it's good. She knows what's important. And I am learning.

Thanks for listening.

Sanity and Serenity,
Lorraine

10 Comments:

At 3:01 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

*applause*

 
At 4:36 AM , Blogger K said...

*more applause*

I've never felt thin, either.

But I've worked out that when I get plenty of exercise, then my body feels well and capable, and I feel thin enough. When I haven't been getting enough exercise, my body feels fat, even if it isn't in fact any heavier.

Finding the time to do the exercise to make me feel good about myself - that's the tricky part. I shall be getting back to that after 6 Jan (the end of the Christmas celebrations in my family).

 
At 5:16 AM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

I have the luck and genetics to be a thin person, but for years I struggled with eating disorders and lived pretty poorly to be even tinier. (Ironically, I now weigh less than I did at the worst of my problems and I eat everything in sight - had I but known that breastfeeding would have that effect...)

I think the hardest about losing weight isn't the actual losing of the weight (which is very difficult) or the keeping off of said weight (which is possible, but even more difficult for most), but leaping the mental hurdle of "feeling fat". There are millions of people out there who are totally healthy and thin but who are on weight loss plans because they're not a size 2. Some people aren't designed to be a size 2. Even if you are, do you need to live under that kind of unnecessary pressure when you can be perfectly shapely and healthy as a size 8? Not to mention the ton of people out there who are built to be 10s who hurt themselves to be 6s. No, the key is to be healthy and happy in what body you've got. THAT is truly the hard part.

You are totally on the right track physically. Good food and a little activity will do wonders for your body and mind. Just don't your emotions take over your brain and tell you that you're not thin enough. Let your body be your guide. If you're feeling good and have the energy to do the things you want to do, then you're in good shape. And, as my husband likes to put it, don't take no s*** from your brain!

Er, didn't mean to rant and drone on. Just wanted to give you a hug and tell you that you're doing good!

 
At 6:47 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

You go girl! Body image is a struggle in this society - all three of my daughters will occasionally slip into negative patterns despite my best efforts to help them NOT be like me. When I was a kid, my mom told me I couldn't take ballet because I wasn't thin and athletic. sad - it's been a struggle for me too to feel good about myself. My girls and I all try to eat healthy and exercise, and discuss alot about advertising/televsion and the hidden messages about how women aren't good enough just as they are (wouldn't sell many products). Ever notice how many overweight husbands on sitcoms have svelte wives? It's irritating how often that happens. Anyway, congrats Lorraine, and you too Beez! (and mousey, nursing is the BEST thing ever for metabolism boosting! haha, I was so sad when that ended, would've loved to kept it up forever!)

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger Glen said...

A good friend of mine wrote this:

http://revsaintmichael.livejournal.com/133590.html

He's vowed to delete his journal in a few days, so read while you can.

 
At 2:58 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Let me join the "You are on your way Lorraine" bandwagon. Woohoo!

During junior high and high school there were two statements that got to me: "You could be a model, if you lost weight," and "You would be pretty, if you lost weight." At the time, I vacillated between 170 and 225 pounds. I've been 5'11.5" tall since I was 14. It would be after college that an OB-GYN told me I should weigh 180 lbs. This was when the height/weight charts were saying that a female of my height should weigh 140-155 lbs. Weigh what feels best to you.

And I may just take you up on that private email.

 
At 3:14 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I feel like I ate everything in sight this Christmas. The holidays have always been a time for a little over-indulgence in sweets for me, but I think my body isn't quite rolling with the punches like it used to.

I know I'm a guy and society isn't riding me to be stick thin all the time in nearly the same way as it does women but I'd like to fit comfortably into my pants again soon; I'm a cheapskate and don't want to buy all new ones.

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger Glen said...

Well Lorraine, I can't force Mike to not delete his blog. But I'm glad you liked it. He's a slam poet, so you may someday be able to buy the CD.

 
At 10:11 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

I am sure people's beauty comes from the inside. I've met gorgeous women who where "voluptuous" and I'm not being nice or gratuitous. I have this feeling that it might be about reconciling the inner person with the physical person.

I've lost 45 pounds in the past year and 20 since balticon last year. I am back to where I see myself. I still see myself as chunky and always will. I know, however, that others don't see me that way.

I used to think there was no such thing as too thin, but I've met people who I think are too thin and they look sick to me.

On an upbeat note, I've noticed alot of stuff on television is focusing on the "health" issue as a new years resolution and not weight loss as much. The modeling industry in Italy is working on trying to prevent the fashion industry from promoting living clothes hangers on the runways.

I think things are slowly changing.

I thought you were a teatotaller. Glad to hear you are working on anything alcohol related.

 
At 9:54 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

I'll join in - albeit belatedly - in the applause.
For the effort.
For the cause.
Hug.
N.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home