Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hot, Music, and Houses

I bet Malena is very happy to be home again, with temps a breezy 119 in LA this week. I thought we had it bad at 100, but 119 sounds like the sort of temp one could BAKE things in....This is one year I am ready for it to be winter. ( and not JUST because I will have a hot tub! )

Paul and I are playing again this week at Charlie's Pub, Friday and Saturday 7:30 to 11:30 without the added joy that was Lumberjack Days , it is air conditioned , and we tend to have a LOT of fun.

I have been working on this Wolery House this week and learning how much I don't know about so many things every day. I bought a Fridge, Microwave and Freezer. My fridge is very tiny because I want to put another door in the kitchen and the only other place to put a fridge is rather small, but I think it will work quite well. I went and picked out carpet, for the bedroom, office and stairs and LAMinate for a wood floor in what Malena calls " The Romance Room " , then it was suggested the carpet was kind of pricey, so I checked another place and the carpet was the same but the LAMinate floor was way cheaper, so I started all over AGAIN, but now I think I have it. Deep Purple for the office and Deep Green for bedroom and stair's, and a really dark LAMinate floor for ye olde Romance Room.

I found my kitchen table and chairs HERE if you want to see them. The set is called, sadly " The BOOM BOOM ROOM.....

I have the coolest doorbell in the world, hands down, and my lovely chandelier is up. I'll take some pics for you soon.

It is really starting to get fun now as things get painted, walls come down , and I am getting things for it. It is starting to feel like ME, a whole space where it is all ME. I am loving the choosing, arranging , conferring that is going on. When I walk in now I am feel all my stress and worries and work or whatever melt away. ( except for the part where I walked to the basement and found torrential rains tend to come IN ) It is like a surprise that keeps on coming, the good bits, the rain. Chris is coming in a couple of weeks to finish up the recording and we re going to record, due to the wonders of a portable studio, right in my dining room with the tin ceiling.

Making magic and music right in my very own house.

Doesn't get any better than this.

Love and home, Lorraine

7 Comments:

At 12:45 PM , Blogger K said...

Aaaah. Choosing the paint colours. I think ours would have got chosen a lot quicker if there was only one of us doing the deciding. Are you hiring people to do the painting, or are you doing it yourself?

We are doing it ourselves. As in, I am currently covered with paint, some of which is gloss paint and has been decorating me for DAYS. That stuff doesn't come off without a fight. Ah, the glamour.

But it is so cool to be able to make the place look different...

 
At 1:16 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

LAMinate is wonderful stuff. If you have lots of allergies, you may wish you had covered ALL you floors with laminate rather than carpet. Our ground floor is all laminate and vinyl, and we'll probably get the second floor covered with laminate within a few years. So much less work to keep clean; however, you do need to be careful moving furniture around as it will scratch somewhat easily.

We probably ought to paint again soon, too. And get the master bath new wallpaper. :P Painting is so much easier.

ANYWAY......I'm sure that it will all be FABULOUS when finished. I mean, how could it be anything less. ;)

Extreme heat is no fun. Neither is extreme cold, but you don't hear as much about power outages from a cold spell as you do a heat spell. The whole nation has been under a heat spell, so everybody (at least in the USA) try to keep cool. And just think, President Bush doesn't think there's anything to the global warming theory. XP

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I love to take a space and make it my own.

 
At 8:11 PM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Cool colors! And yeah, nothing better than claiming a place as your own, truly (haven't cked the link yet, but boom boom?!?heehee) I am teaching my daughter how to paint - we are repainting her bedroom a very dark charcoal which will look great with her stuff - after the new year, I will start redoing both bathrooms - gah, they are DISGUSTING, but I won't have time until after the holidays. sigh. Arian, you are right - my kids did much better when we switched from carpet to laminate - I like the stuff, has worn well.
We haven't had such extreme heat here - we've been in the high 80's, going to the low 90's this weekend, warm yes, but not the 100's and above. Do you have central air Lorraine? We don't but its only been these last two years that have been so warm - is Minnesota warmer typically than Michigan? You're farther north, but it does seem your temps have been way above ours this year. Thank god for cool bars! Have fun, wish I could go and not be a lumberjack, haha. Malena, stay cool, it has been brutal out west!

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

Have you checked out bamboo flooring? It's pretty nifty. My Huzbin does finish carpentry in www.seaside.com and www.rosemarybeachfl.com and the popular thing there is antique red pine flooring. Gorgeous stuff. He made all the tables in my house with it. They also use Brazilian mahogany and paint it...which I think is an abomination, but hell...the residents are people like Billy Jean King and people from the Sopranos, so I guess painting gorgeous wood isn't quite the sacrilege for them as it is for me.

It's nice to design your own space...purples and greens sound yummy. So when is the LaMmie house-warming party? ;-)

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

We've had a programmable thermostat for years, and right now our thermostat isn't programmed. I can move the temperature up or down whenever, though it would be a lot less hassle if I knuckled down and programmed the darn thing. It would save us money, too, because then I wouldn't have to remember to turn it back up during the day. ::sigh::

I don't understand people painting over beautiful wood either, however painting over cheap wood I don't have a problem with. We have panelled wood wainscot in our living room which I would like to paint; however, I fear I will have to convince my husband that the room will look better with it painted. We have enough woodgrain and it can get a little "busy."

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

If you're running the sound straight to the hard drive, then it shouldn't matter if your ceiling is made of tin or of a sentient gelatinous living matter (sez the sound engineer to whom I'm married). ew.

I have one of those programmable thermostats too, but hell if I can figure the damned thing out. Luckily, there's the option to just press arrows to turn things up or down.

And don't even get me started on covering up perfectly gorgeous wooden floorboards with paint or carpet. I understood when the owners of our building covered the main hallway between the apartments on this floor in carpet (it was getting beat up, and the hall echoed any of the clompiness of shoes against hard wood), but when they carpetted the apartment next door in hideous scratchy pale ick, when the hard wood floor was in PERFECT shape, well, I almost cried.

Painting is fun, as long as you have ventilation. We did our bedroom a year or two ago in red with gold trim. I can't wait to see what your place looks like when it's all FabLo-ized!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home