Thursday, July 20, 2006

Gigs, Lisa Snellings and Melissa Eitheridge

This has been a rather long hot busy working day, so if I seem to lack my usual wit and brilliance, you know why. There are things to say however, so here it is....

First off, Paul and I , with John " Big Sexy " Sjogren are playing this Friday and Saturday at Charlies in Stillater. I mention this as it is not on the appearances Page, being a last minute addition. Sadly, Stilllwater is having " Lumberjack Days" . I don't know what they are exactly , but I think it means it may be hard to park, but we would love to see some friendly faces in the sea of chaos if you are feeling brave. Elizabeth from Dremahaven Books says she is going to try and get thru and bring me a mysterious package that arrived for me from Someone out there........

Lisa Snellings is having a very cool sale. Here it is for one more week only and some of the proceeds are going to the CBLDF , it is never to early to think about Christmas, folks and Lisa's art is so very magic. ( and she is a pretty fun date herself! )

( notice my new linking skills? Hope it works )

I got a chance to see Melissa Etheridge on Tuesday night. It was truly the second best concert I have ever been to . ( NOTHING will ever top ABBA , I was 13 and we got to sit in the fourth row ) Melissa is the most amazing performer I have ever seen, she gives so very much , everything she has I don't doubt. She played for 2 hours and 41 minutes! Never stopped for a moment. ( I have played close to two hours without a break in concert, and let me tell you, it is WORK ) Kitty told me when I mentioned I was going to the concert that someone had said to her, about Melissa, " If you need healing, she will heal you"

Yes, she does. Her music is everything that music should be , and as magic as music is at it's best, but it is the things she says in between songs that made my heart melt, my fears go away , and made me believe that anything is possible, at any moment. Or maybe reminded me of that. And of how very precious life and love really are. It's hard to put into words what a wonderful experience seeing her was. It's funny, I was reading in her blog that some of the critics were saying they liked the music, but she talked to much. Weren't they listening to what she had to say???? I need to write her and tell her, don't stop talking, I can't be the only one you have healed.

Go and see her , if you can, if she is coming your way. You will be glad you did.

I think I will leave you with some pictures of the very, very coolest housewarming present a Boss could ever give his Assistant.

Love, Music and Magic, Lorraine

16 Comments:

At 3:49 PM , Blogger elionwyr said...

I first saw Melissa just before she won her first Grammy. She was playing in a cabaret/club, and I was underaged, but the very kind owners took pity on me and let me come in. With my mother. Who was (if memory serves) the person that had introduced me to Melissa's music in the first place.

She was,as you say, absolutely amazing. And even being sick, she came out for FOUR encores, giving everything she had to her performance. I think it was the first time I've ever sat in an audience and been able to feel the energy and magic of the person on stage.

I've not seen her in years. I'll have to check her tour schedule..

 
At 7:38 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

that is the most splendiderific skel-lady I have ever seen. She is fab!!! prey tell... is she clay? (she reminds me of day of the dead... and the song 'folk underground')

 
At 7:43 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

"and they sometimes go walking" ... snicker... it echoes between my ears.

 
At 2:14 AM , Blogger K said...

Fabbydoo!

I don't have anything that cool in my house (though I do have some new skull'n'crossbones socks...)

 
At 5:42 AM , Blogger Dan Guy said...

I love Melissa Ethereal.

If it's "Lumberjack Days" then surely you are obligated to perform The Lumberjack Song, eh?

That is the best housewarming present ever!

 
At 5:59 AM , Blogger ivenotime said...

Viva la dias de la muertas! (sp? not sure it is early) Melissa Etheridge sounds wonderful - I've never been lucky enough to see her in concert. And really, don't we all secretly want to be lumberjacks? Have fun!

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Okay, so now I need to see if Melissa Etheridge will be in Texas anytime in the relatively near future. :) Not that I'm really likely to make it to a concert, but I DO like her music.

I also need to search for Strawbs and see if ANY of their albums are on CD. All that we have is on vinyl, but I don't really expect to find any on CD.

Cool Dia de los Muertos lady! Are you going to put her in the entry of Wolery House?

 
At 9:02 PM , Blogger Malena said...

Lumberjack days? Can you imagine me in a flannel shirt and boots? It's a stretch. Don't let all those "Brawny" men hit on you Fablo!

Melissa Etheridge is the queen of all! I bought her first CD when I was living in New York..way back when. Loved her ever since. I always wanted that bluesy voice. You're so lucky!

BTW, Fablo has the best Day of the Dead collection ever!

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Malena said...

Dusti! LOVE THE PHOTO honey! We ARE the hottest bunch of ghouls on the web!

 
At 9:12 PM , Blogger vandaluna said...

I snagged four lucks dancers. I already have two. I like to think that because I commissioned the original duplicate that I had some hand in promoting Lisa's work. But I bet (I know) she had already planned on making copies of that piece since it is sooo awesome. Also, if you all haven't, you need (well, you don't need, but whatever) to buy the ravyn rat and the vanda rat. They make a great pair!!

 
At 10:07 PM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

There really is a power to Ethridge's voice, isn't there? I'm not the biggest fan of her music out there, but I'm one of the first in line to say she's amazing and talented and beyond impressive in its soulfulness.

Yay for cool housewarming goodies! It's so pretty!

In other random news, a friend of mine just told me she sang "A Girl Needs A Knife" at an open-mic night, and I used it as a launch point to introduce her to FU and LaM. =) Woo hoo!

 
At 11:24 PM , Blogger Rubius said...

I am feeling sad to say that I don't think I can place Melissa Etheridge's music ... I suppose I will have to introduce myself to her sound. On that topic, what would you recommend for a first delving into it?

 
At 9:07 AM , Blogger mistress mousey said...

I think I have some leftover black flannel if Malena needs to test the "goth lumberjack" theory. :)

And if it were up to me I'd keep one skeleton in the closet, just because it's a cool thing to say (and it would be there to greet you every time you opened the closet door)!

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger Kitty Cat said...

ok, well truly the skellingotn lady is very cool, but i think HOUSE is the BEST housewarming present in history . maybe i am confused, it has happened before, this confusion...
but i do like skel-lady quite a bit.

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger kali_licious said...

Oh Fablo..she's beautiful! (of course, your boss has most excellent taste;).

And you got to see Melissa Etheridge you lucky lady! I still kick myself for not going to see her here in Indy before she broke big, when she played little joints.

Heeheehee..Malena the Goth Lumberjack. This I gotta see. lol

 
At 9:21 PM , Blogger ariandalen said...

Rubius, if you go to Melissa Etheridge's website, there are samples of songs. I missed the Texas dates, but I'll live. ;)

I've always been very comfortable in cotton flannel, though I don't currently own any flannel day clothes. And boots don't have to have high heels to be comfortable. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home