Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Lorraine's first BLOG

Lorraine a' Malena Blog




Everyone Blogs these days.... Ok, Almost everyone Blogs. All my friends have a Blog. All the writers, musicians and artists I know have a Blog. My boss has a wonderful Blog. It can't be that hard. We have a website. We have a website set up for a Blog. Both I and Malena, the other half of this duo, write constantly. For magazines, pleasure, other people. I work for a writer. A very large portion of my friends are writers.

How hard can it be?

Sigh. Tell, me, fellow Bloggers that this DOES get easier?

This is such a cool story, Malena and I and our band Lorraine a' Malena, that it ought to be told as it unfolds and not in retrospective . You can read the story of how we met over in another part of the website. (except I get ahead of myself, we haven't met yet, see? I told you this was a great story) Of how she was Neil Gaiman's un-dead vampire Goth assistant on Fox's 13 Nights of Fright, and how I am his living assistant in real life and how we started talking on the phone and discovering how alike we were and how much music we had in common and how very much we needed to do this CD together.

Let's take up the story as it is now, by weird coincidence, 13 Days Before We Meet.
(For the first time in real life anyway. What goes on in the dark and your dreams is another story entirely. ) Every night shortly before midnight the phone rings here, and Malena calls to work on music, which after an hour or so of catching up on the events of the day, we generally do. This is a story of sisters and best friends as well as band mates, you see.

We have worked out a way using a speaker phone and an old 4-track run through one of Folk UnderGround’s monitors ( as I lack the proper connecting cable to go direct ) to record and sing together. Sometimes I play the songs on guitar, sometimes we just sing. Melodies, harmonies, and who the heck is going to sit in on this track are all coming together. What songs are we going to do? That is certainly something we ought to post as well, and something we are going to be figuring out when Malena comes out to my place for a week. In 13 Days.

And we meet for the first time. I mentioned that didn't I? Yes, we do know, thank you , that it is a rather odd way to go about getting a best friend and forming a band, but when the universe throw you something as wonderful magic exciting and Right, one ought to go with it, or what is the point of anything?

And why should one wait to get a website , book the studio, line up the music, write the songs, and just recently, start agreeing to interviews and talking with Indie labels , not to mention booking gigs, until we meet? Malena and I think we would just end up in the same place at the end of it, as before the beginning. We need to do it now, and here is where the story starts. Before we meet.

Malena can write her own bits of the Blog, until we are here together rehearsing and again later in the studio, then we can do them together. I will tell you a few things she will never say though, she is the most wonderful, magic, witchy, violin playing, banshee singing , best friend a girl could ever have. Did I say she could SING??? Oh, yeah, she can sing alright. She makes me laugh, she listens to me rant for hours, she tells me stories that no one has ever heard, about things that are magic. She loves the night, and all the creatures in it, and knows how magic is with the moon and stars and the street where all the lights are burnt out. (The one where all the houses are lit with candles.....The one that has a haunted mansion at the end of it.)

She also wears really fabulously wonderful clothes.

There. This is the start of our Blog. It is a story about the making of a real CD. And it's a story about two friends who met once in a haunted mansion somewhere in a dream and knew it. Some bits will be very real. Some bits will be very magic. Who can say which bits are which? We all will have to wait and see.

It is however, ultimately, the story of two witchy women who play violin and sing and who will meet in 13 Days and make a CD. Here.... In this world.

Love and Light_Lorraine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home